[Sw-l] SignWriting used for Cued Speech in multiple languages

Stephen Slevinski slevin at SIGNPUDDLE.NET
Sat Dec 18 17:24:47 UTC 2021

Wow Alexandra Racek,

It's great to see SignWriting used for Cued Speech.  I always thought it
would be a good idea.

Lip reading is ambiguous because lip shapes can correspond to multiple
sounds.  It requires context, memory, and mental flexibility to read lips.

Cued speech is great for lip reading because it adds a visual cue to
eliminate the ambiguity between lip shape and sound.  Lip reading with
cued speech contains all of the information needed to understand the
language being communicated.

Thanks for creating and sharing!
-Steve

sutton at signwriting.org