[Sw-l] To "V" or not to "V", that is the question.

Sun Feb 13 14:52:28 UTC 2022

SignWriting List
February 13, 2022

Thank you so much, AnnaGrace, for all your messages, which I'm really enjoying reading.

And in this message you did clear up a misunderstanding for me. I thought that you felt that the V hand looked like a K and you wanted to change it.

I'm glad to know that you don't want to change it, since we couldn't if we wanted to!

The ISWA 2010 is the foundation of many software programs and it would be like taking a brick away from the bottom of a building. So we do need to work with the symbols that we have at the moment.

In time of course there may be additions to the ISWA 2010, that through software development could be added to the ISWA 2010, but that software development is a long way off because it takes funding and time from the software developer's perspectives. I know there will be solutions someday because for example in Brazil they've already requested at least 30 new handshapes that they would like to add to the ISWA. Kind of amazing huh? Working with so many languages has created an amazing experience of international cooperation, which I love.

“to V or not to V” is a wonderful take on the Shakespearean line from Hamlet "to be or not to be”!

But what does the V mean to you? I think I understand that where the fingers are placed is not where you would place them?

There is no question that like all alphabetic characters that got standardized, we have to learn them and get used to them - I wish I had known you way back in the 1980s!

I appreciate your feedback and information ;-)

Val ;-)