[Sw-l] Presentation of sign Search (German: Geb ärdensuche)

Uta Meißner uta.hielscher at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 26 17:00:53 UTC 2022

Hello dear signwriters,

I would like to explain to you how sign search works in sign2mint.

https://sign2mint.de/search/gebaerdensuche

If you know a sign, but not

If you know a sign but you don't know its translation or you don't know the
meaning of the sign and you want a translation for it.

 There are 4 groups:

   1. handshape
   2. 2-hand
   3. contact
   4. movement

handshape:
There are 30 main handshapes (phonem, i dont know, whether the word
"phonem" is used). We have phonems and allophons and fingerspellings.
Allophones are handshapes that are similar to phonemes or written
differently, allophones are minimal deviations from phonemes.

There is a table with phonem, allophon and fingerspellings.
https://sign2mint.de/page/gebaerdensuchinformation

If, you choose a phonem, so it looks for this phonem and its allophons and
fingerspellings. Independent of hand position.

2-hand:
there are 5 ways in which the left hand moves compared to the right hand.
- parallel
- symmetrical
- alternating
- resting
- performing together

I would very much like to add that it is only a hand gesture, but there is
no symbol for it, so this selection is not available.

contact:
There are 4 how-contact:
- simple contact
- wipe (loose) contact
- rub (continuous) contact
- grap contact
There are 4 where-contact:
- head
- neck
- breast
- arm

I would very much like to add hand contact, but we have no idea, which
symbol. We use arm, breast or neck only, if there is contact. And head with
contact symbol like ")" in the head.

movement:
There are 9 movements.
- straight
- wave
- angular
- circle
- spirale
- arm rotation
- hand movement
- finger movement

The more symbols you select, the more accurate the result will be.
There is no finer selection. We will see if we need it.
I would like to distinguish in dominant and recessive hand, that is not
possible with signwriting. Or is it?

sign2mint-Team
Uta

sutton at signwriting.org