[Sw-l] Revision 09 for draft-slevinski-formal-signwriting

Adam Frost icemandeaf at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jan 30 19:16:07 UTC 2022

I am surprised and love the idea of the null symbol being S00000. 😊 Then I won’t have to use one of the “never used” S10006 symbol in its place for the sorting that I have been doing. 😁

Uta, I have really been thinking about your issue for searching different types of 2-handed usage, such as no movement, same movement, and opposite movement for the recessive hand. While the timing symbols do work well for that and can be used as a convention for those purposes, I don’t find myself using them in my typical writing. (Val did find me using “~” for a couple dictionary entires, though. Ha! It was a test for entires of what most people call classifiers, which I think will work for my purposes.)

Having said that, I think you using “~” to mean the second hand stays in place is fine. You can make that a rule for your purposes that should always be followed.

Another idea might be using searches to find those signs instead of a new symbol. I haven’t really gotten into the new searching of OR search query as I need to update to the core modules that Steve created, but it did get me thinking about how using a NOT search query might make it possible to search for signs that don’t include left hand (white arrowhead) or unit movement (general arrowhead) arrows. That could be used to find the 2-handed signs where the recessive hand doesn’t move. Of course the search would have to make sure it doesn’t include 1-handed signs in some fashion for it to work. But if this were possible, it could make it so you don’t have to have any special symbol for the type of signs you want to be found. The same method of searching could also be used for finding if the movements are the same or opposite for both hands. Just a thought.

Adam