[Sw-l] Revision 09 for draft-slevinski-formal-signwriting

Stephen Slevinski slevin at SIGNPUDDLE.NET
Sun Jan 30 20:43:48 UTC 2022

On 1/30/22 2:06 PM, Jonathan Duncan wrote:
> Steve,
>
>     What I understand from your examples on the web
> page(https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-slevinski-formal-signwriting-09.html#name-proposed-null-symbol)
> is that the null Symbol would be per syllable or set of hand grouping
> in the case that there is only one hand and another non-hand symbol
> like contact.
>
>     How are you determining which of the two hands comes first in the
> symbol list if there are two?

Hi Jonathan,

In Formal SignWriting, a sign is a two-part word of time and space.
Consider this sign.  It has both a temporal prefix and a spatial signbox.

The first part is the temporal prefix, used for the SignSpelling Sequence.
This is a time-based ordering of symbols as chosen by the writer.
This ordering is based on a theory of sorting.
I believe that the SignSpelling sequence is the best theory, but this is
not enforced.

The second part is the spatial signbox.
This is the two-dimensional arrangement of the symbols.

Both parts of the sign must be written by an author.
There is no way to create a temporal prefix based on the spatial signbox.

The null symbol can only be used in the temporal prefix.

If we write the above sign with only the right hand, it would be the
following.

However, this sign would sort after the first sign.
To fix this, we could use the null symbol.
The spatial signbox would stay the same, but we would add the null
symbol to the temporal prefix.
For this example, let's say that the null symbol is represented by the "X".

With the null symbol, the signs would sort appropriately.

> I think I would've called it the empty symbol as opposed to the null
> symbol.  Because it's a value to fill in, not a value that we don't know.

The null symbol isn't a value to fill in or a value that we don't know.
The null symbol is choice that represents the absence of value.

-Steve