[Sw-l] Revision 09 for draft-slevinski-formal-signwriting

Jonathan Duncan joyoduncan at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jan 30 20:06:38 UTC 2022

Hi all, and thanks UTA for you input too.

There is a symbol for when a hand does not move, it's ~ .

I've noticed that for people who start learning sign-writing, one of
theirs and it was mine too, to distinguish which hand is which.  The way
that works best for me is analyzing the arrow head that come from or to
a hand so to tell if it's the right or left hand.  If there are no arrow
heads available, then the right most symbol is the right hand and left
most symbol is the left hand, except in the case of the arms crossed
over the big X  then you know that the left hand is on the right and the
right hand is on the left.  So I believe that's why

There has been an effort while writing to write as little as possible
and for the writing to still be ineligible.  So I believe that's why the
hand symbols are right and left hand  symbol or even any of the hand
symbols actually right or left hand, only that some usually are only
used for right or left, but not always.  Which I believe is part of the
problem of sorting.  I created an algorithm that analyzing the arrows
and hand positions categorized them as right or left hand and first set
of right-left hands and second-set of right-left hands to be able to put
the symbols in an order so that the signs could be sorted.  It worked
for most signs,  but some have to have the symbols ordered manually.  So
I never finished ordering my dictionaries as for all the effort it was
taking was keeping me from publishing it.  And I decided to first
publish with oral language order, then if anybody wanted it sign order,
I would finish it.  No one ever requested it so, that's were that has
stayed.

Steve,

     What I understand from your examples on the web
page(https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-slevinski-formal-signwriting-09.html#name-proposed-null-symbol)
is that the null Symbol would be per syllable or set of hand grouping in
the case that there is only one hand and another non-hand symbol like
contact.

     How are you determining which of the two hands comes first in the
symbol list if there are two?

If we have a sign with two hands and one contact symbol and removed one
of the two, would the null symbol still come after the remaining hand
symbol in both cases?

I think I would've called it the empty symbol as opposed to the null
symbol.  Because it's a value to fill in, not a value that we don't know.

Jonathan

sutton at signwriting.org

Post Messages to the SignWriting List:
sw-l at listserv.valenciacollege.edu