[Sw-l] Nonverbal communication: Two-hand gestures

Sun Mar 27 22:50:09 UTC 2022

SignWriting List
March 27, 2022

Hello SW List,
Thank you for this really thoughtful message, Sutthikhun (Ae).

And thank you for the Sign written and explained graphic with signs written for many different uses…The attached graphic is amazing and interesting to read...

I appreciate your interest in Movement Writing which has been used for gesture-writing for rare projects and still is today, recently in animation projects, but it is also used when writing the mime-like performances of sign language artists (something I look forward to writing more of in the future) - a combination of dance and sign languages and mime.

Here are three projects that applied Movement Writing to writing gesture:

Denmark, 1975
Examples of Notation of a South Pacific Sign Language
This booklet recorded mime-like gestures and home signs of one lone Deaf man, based on research by Danish researcher Rolf Kuschel, which I wrote in Movement Writing and SignWriting from film (video of the time). It included pictures with SignWriting illustrations of communications of a Deaf man who had been isolated with no other Deaf people on the entire island all his life. He acted out gestures to communicate with hearing people living on the island. No longer in print. (but maybe I can find a copy…)

Denmark, 1978
Hørende Danskeres Gestus-Repertoire
(Hearing Danes' Gesture-Repertoire)
Dissertation by Jan Enggaard. This published research used SignWriting to record hearing person's gestures, comparing them to Danish Sign Language gestures used by Danish Deaf people. The hearing people were chatting in Danish while sitting on a couch, and they made small gestures with hands and body and face while talking to each other. Those gestures were written in Movement Writiing and then compared to DSL.The research was conducted at the Audiologopædisk Forskningsgruppe, University of Copenhagen, Denmark.

Denmark, 1975 (?)
Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen.
There was also a project writing the facial expressions of a mother and child, while I was in Denmark - around 1975 - I need to find those papers…I worked with a psychologist to write the mother-child interactions and gestures - also wrote the movements of an austistic child compared with the movements of his “normal” brother - can’t remember when that was! I will have to look it up...

Norway, 2006
Research Project
by Dr. Harald Bentz Høgseth, Norway
Writing Gesture For Scientific Studies
https://www.movementwriting.org/science/

about this project:
Message to the SignWriting List in Oct 21, 2005
https://www.movementwriting.org/science/craftsman/

And then Dr. Ingvild Roald, also from Norway, conducted important research on writing Physics Terms in Norwegian Sign Language, and this kind of writing accesses symbols from the general Movement Writing system to be able to write signs that describe planets in the sky and so forth… so Movement Writing slowly was, and is being now, incorporated into SignWriting…through these pioneering projects - Recently Invild posted some of her documents on Academia.edu and I hope to read them soon…

Here is the title of one of Invild’s papers:

"What are the Earth and the heavenly bodies like? A study of objectual conceptions among Norwegian deaf and hearing pupils” …by Dr. Ingvild Roald

https://www.academia.edu/61924119/What_are_the_Earth_and_the_heavenly_bodies_like_A_study_of_objectual_conceptions_among_Norwegian_deaf_and_hearing_pupils

So in a way Movement Writing is in use today - just hidden under the name SignWriting… and animation and so forth...

Best to everyone -

Val ;-)