[Sw-l] What better way to write sign with more moves and handshapes

Wed May 4 16:21:02 UTC 2022

SignWriting List
May 4, 2022

Hello everyone, and Uta -
Thank you for these questions related to how many handshapes are needed to write signs. And your examples show two different issues.

So let me take your second example first.

When I personally write, I follow our SignSpelling Guidelines, that help with this issue. Your second example would be written differently, following "SignSpelling Guideline 1: First Write the Position of Contact”, which is explained on numbered pages 194-195 in the Lessons in SignWriting Textbook. It is also explained on this web page: https://www.signwriting.org/lessons/elessons/less063.html

Lessons in SignWriting Textbook, (See numbered pages 194-195)
https://www.signwriting.org/archive/docs2/sw0116-Lessons-SignWriting.pdf

So to explain… in your second example, following the Guideline, I would write the “Position of Contact”, because there is real meaning in the ending position. And to have a position of contact, there has to be an open position in the beginning, so that can be assumed…

So I would write it this way. In my attached example, the second one would take away the opening position because it can easily assumed: