World Wide Words -- 19 Oct 13

Fri Oct 18 16:40:04 UTC 2013

WORLD WIDE WORDS          ISSUE 854         Saturday 19 October 2013
       This mailing also contains an HTML-formatted version.
          A formatted version is also available online at
             http://www.worldwidewords.org/nl/fjyn.htm

1. Feedback, Notes and Comments
PREANTEPENULTIMATE  Last week, I mentioned "suprapreantepenultimate"
as a very rare word that meant "fifth from last". Gary Mason found
an alternative in Wikidictionary: "propreantepenultimate". This is
just as rare: its only appearance that my investigations have turned
up is in a book of 1825, A General Critical Grammar of the Inglish
Language on a System Novel and Extensive, by Samuel Oliver (that's
not an error but the way he spelled "English"):

    In its minute divisions, accent is ultimate,
    penultimate, antepenultimate, preantepenultimate,
    propreantepenultimate.

SOFTLY, SOFTLY, CATCHEE MONKEY  Mike Cahill more closely identified
the African source of this idiom: "In the Koma people of northern
Ghana, with whom we worked for some years, there's a proverb that
translates literally as 'small-small catches the monkey's tail'.
Other languages in northern Ghana have it as well. It was explained
to me as follows: if there's a monkey in a tree, and his tail is
hanging down, you have to move very slowly ('small-small' here has
that meaning) to catch him. In other words, patience and bit by bit
will accomplish your goal."

TURKEY TALK  The most frequent comment following the last issue came
from readers who live north of the 49th parallel. May I reassure
them that I did know there are two Thanksgivings in North America
and that the Canadian one is earlier than the American? That was why
I specified the date, to remove any possibility of ambiguity. It
didn't work.

2. Eximious   /eg'zimI at s/
One of the first pieces that I wrote for World Wide Words, nearly 20
years ago, was on inkhorn terms (see http://bit.ly/19NxH9D). They
are bookish words of the sixteenth century, generated from classical
Latin or Greek precursors for the most part, invented to fill what
seemed to their creators to be gaps in the language.

Some achieved a permanent place in our vocabularies, but most
disappeared again through being thought unnecessary or pretentious,
such as "adnichilate" (destitute), "exolete" (obsolete), "oblatrant"
(reviling), "pervicacy" (obstinacy) and "trutinate" (estimate). A
small number survived but never quite fitted in, remaining on the
margins as the province of wordsmiths with a taste for the exotic or
obscure. "Eximious" is one such. It refers to something excellent
and derives from the Latin adjective "eximius", choice or select, a
relative of the verb "eximere", to take out or remove. Relatives in
English include "example" and "exempt".

"Eximious" appeared first in The Breviary of Health, a book of 1547
by Andrew Borde, who was variously a monk, writer of an excellent
travel book about Europe, spy for Thomas Cromwell, popular physician
and reputed compiler of several books of jokes (he wrote in the
Breviary that nothing comforted the heart so much as honest mirth
and good company). He died in prison, having - it's said - been
found guilty of keeping three whores in his chamber in Winchester,
though a contemporary explained that he was merely pimping them for
members of the clergy.

He wrote in the Breviary about "The eximious and arcane science of
physic", that is, the excellent and mysterious science of medicine.
That comment notably contains two neologisms, since he is also the
first known user of "arcane". He created other medical terms in the
book which are still familiar, such as "constipated", "hydrophobia",
"head louse" and "ulcerated", but many of his terms didn't catch on:
a writer two centuries after him observed that he was as fond of
hard and uncouth words as any quack could be.

"Eximious" had some small popularity during the second half of the
nineteenth century in grandiloquent references such as "the eximious
character of the right honourable gentleman" and "my eximious and
illustrious contemporary"; is now exceedingly rare, though it has
managed to survive to the present day:

    While his eximious Presbyterian church here is built of
    bricks from Flintshire, they are as stridently, violently
    coloured as their Lancashire counterparts.
    [Jonathan Meades, writing in The Times, 9 Oct.
    2004.]

3. Snippets
NAMING THE NAMELESS  Professor June Flanders wrote to tell me of a
neologism she had just encountered, "deanonymise". As it happens,
I'd come across it in a report a few days earlier about attempts by
the US National Security Agency to find the identities of users of
Tor, The Onion Router, a system that enables people to communicate
anonymously online. ("Onion" because its security is achieved in
part by routing messages through a series of servers, so that
tracing their origin would be like peeling back the layers of an
onion.) Since users are anonymous, to reveal them would logically
enough be to deanonymise them. In technical jargon, this has a quite
specific sense, more precise than "reveal" or "uncover". "Anonymise"
as a verb dates from the 1970s, at first in medical statistics for
the need to protect the identities of individuals. The earliest
example of "deanonymise" I've found is from an educational journal
in 1996. The noun, "deanonymisation", appeared the following year.

LEANING TOWERS  Peter Bottomley forwarded, with raised eyebrows, a
jargon-laden notice that he had been sent at the House of Commons
about a forthcoming event: "Increasing deverticalisation of public
sector delivery, collaborative online platforms and hyperlocal
participation is creating a need for new structures that can service
digital communities." Deverticalisation, you will appreciate, is the
opposite of verticalisation, which describes the situation in which
a business controls all the stages of production, from raw materials
to marketing. To deverticalise is to arrange for some of the steps
to be undertaken by outsiders. We may more pithily describe it as
farming out, subcontracting or outsourcing. "Deverticalisation" is
from the 1970s but it became more common, alas, in the 1990s.

THAT'S ALL RIGHT, JACK  I've been firmly told more than once that
the British national flag should correctly be called the Union Jack
only when it is being flown at sea, while on land it is the Union
Flag. A forthcoming report from the Flag Institute, the UK national
organisation which advises the British government and other bodies
on matters vexillological (see http://bit.ly/vexill), is intended to
settle the matter once and for all. Its conclusion is robust: you
can call it what you like. There is no official name for the flag
and the distinction between "jack" and "flag" is an artificial one
invented by some vexillologist in the nineteenth century. This came
about on the grounds that a jack was a small flag flown from a
ship's bowsprit and that traditionally the national flag has been
flown by Royal Navy ships in harbour on a small mast called the
jackstaff rigged in the bows. The two names were actually being used
interchangeably as far back as the late 1600s and the matter has,
strictly speaking, been beyond dispute for more than a century,
since in 1902 the Lords of the Admiralty had decided that either
name could be used officially.

4. Brown as a berry
Q. Why do we talk about somebody with a good suntan being "brown as
a berry"? Berries are usually red, occasionally blue or black but I
can't think of a brown one. [Sheila Napier]

A. This has long puzzled people and readers have asked me about it
in the past. The simple truth is that nobody really knows, though
there are theories.

The first thing to say about the expression is that it's ancient. It
appears twice in Geoffrey Chaucer's Canterbury Tales, dating from
the 1380s, firstly in the Prologue ("His palfrey was as broun as is
a berye", referring to a horse ridden by a monk) and then in the
unfinished Cook's Tale as a description of the cook ("Broun as a
berye, a propre short felawe", which in modern English is "brown as
a berry, a good-looking small fellow".) We may reasonably presume
that as a conventional simile it is even older in speech.

A suggestion often made is that it refers to coffee beans. It can't,
because coffee hadn't been introduced into England in Chaucer's day.
Another idea is that in the English of the time "berry" could refer
to a nut, but there's no suggestion in the Oxford English Dictionary
or the Middle English Dictionary that people used it that way. The
OED does remark that in Old English, four centuries before Chaucer,
"berry" was most commonly used of grapes, which then grew quite well
in southern Britain in the warm climate of the time. But it would be
a stretch for us to describe any variety of grape as brown.

Curiously, "brown" was also used of armour or glass to mean shining
bright - a text of about 1330 described a "sword of brown steel".
Some berries are shiny, but we can hardly imagine "brown" in this
sense being used of a person's face, unless it was slick with sweat,
of which there's no hint in any early example I've looked at.

Another possibility comes to mind. Some ancient writers seemed to be
insensitive to colour and emphasised light and dark in preference to
hues. There is some support for this in the OED, which gives the
earliest sense of "brown" as dusky or dark. One medieval writer, for
example, describes lead as brown. This link to gloom apparently led
to "brown study" (see http://bit.ly/brnstdy). Most native English
berries are relatively dark-coloured, so a link may exist.

A neat example of a hanging modifier came from Tim Conway, who found
it on the BBC website: "Vibrant, surreal and deliciously silly, an
astonishing 21 million viewers tuned in to watch it in 1983, a
record for a children's programme which has yet to be beaten."

"A mail order gift catalogue called Bits and Pieces arrived in the
post," Anne O'Brien tells us. "My husband just noticed that they
offer teleidoscopes as "A unique gift for any collector measuring 5¼
inches long." [A teleidoscope, I learn, is a type of kaleidoscope
with an open end and a lens so you can make patterns from objects
outside the instrument.]

There's either some chronological confusion in the photo caption
from Life magazine that Angie Jabine sent in or Eric Clapton was an
infant financial wizard: "In 1970 Rose Clapp shows off her tea
service and Eric Clapton, the rock-god guitarist grandson she raised
in the home he bought for her and her late husband in Surrey,
England."

Stephen Follows spotted that the Telegraph's coverage on 11 October
of Peter Higgs's Nobel Prize included this: "Professor Brout died in
2011 and could not share the prize post humorously." It has since
been corrected.

On 17 October, the Guardian revealed the identity of a whistleblower
from forty years ago: "He was Reg Dawson, a senior civil servant and
lifelong railways buff, who died last year alongside his wife,
Betty, pictured above on their wedding day at the Dignitas clinic in
Switzerland."

6. Useful information
you can make yourself, though if problems occur you can e-mail me at
wordssubs at worldwidewords.org. To change your subscribed address,
leave the list or re-subscribe, go to http://wwwords.org?SUBS. This
newsletter is also available on RSS (http://wwwords.org?RSSFD) and
on Twitter (http://wwwords.org?TWTTR). Back issues are available via
http://wwwords.org?BKISS.

E-MAIL CONTACT ADDRESSES: Comments on newsletter mailings are always
welcome. They should be sent to wordseditor at worldwidewords.org. I do
try to respond, but pressures of time often prevent me from doing
so. Items for the Sic! section should go to sic at worldwidewords.org.
Questions intended to be answered in the Q and A section should be
sent to wordsquestions at worldwidewords.org.

SUPPORT WORLD WIDE WORDS: If you have enjoyed this newsletter and
would like to help defray its costs and those of the linked Web
site, please visit the support page via http://wwwords.org?SPPRT .

COPYRIGHT: World Wide Words is copyright (c) Michael Quinion 2013. All
rights reserved. You may reproduce this newsletter in whole or part
in free newsletters, newsgroups or mailing lists or as educational
resources provided that you include the copyright notice above and
give the web address of http://www.worldwidewords.org. Reproduction
of items in printed publications or commercial websites requires
permission from the author beforehand.