[An-lang] etymology of Malayic "kasi" ('give')

antonia soriente asoriente at unior.it
Sun Feb 22 15:05:02 UTC 2015

Il 22/02/15 5:38 AM, David Gil ha scritto:
> To return to the semantic strand of this ongoing discussion:
>
> By sheer coincidence, I was just browsing through a wordlist of Tidung
> (spoken in Tarakan, Kalimantan Utara), and the word for 'give' is
> given as /saiyang, /which is clearly related to the familiar Malay
> /sayang/ 'love'/'compassion'/'pity'.  Seems like an almost completely
> parallel semantic change to that which was posited by several
> discussants for Malay /kasi(h)/, and, in my view, the clincher for
> this proposed etymology.
>
> Appell-Warren, Laura P. (1978) "The Tarakan Dialect of the Tidung
> Language of East Kalimantan: Distribution and Basic Vocabulary", in
> A.S. Wurm and Lois Carrington eds., Second International Conference on
> Austronesian Linguistics: Proceedings, Pacific Linguistics C-61, 148-166.

Dear David,
I do not know Tidung well but it is indeed spoken in the area where I
collect my data and by a large population in Malinau, Tarakan and in
Kecamatan Tana Tidung and is related to other Murutic languages spoken
in Kalimantan and Sarawak. Many Tidung people consider themselves 'orang
Melayu' having embraced the Moslem religion. This means that they are
heavily influenced by the Malay culture and language. I have checked on
some wordlists and dictionaries I have (Bolongan, Murut etc) and I have
found nowhere the word saiyang for 'give'. It seems to me that the
informant associated the meaning 'affection' and 'give' of the Malay
kasih to his/her language. Among the many languages I work on this
association is not common.
Next time I go to Tarakan, I'll make sure to check with Tidung speakers.
Antonia

--
Antonia Soriente
Indonesian language and literature