Arabic-L:LING:Plurals

Fri Jun 15 17:04:37 UTC 2007

1) Subject:Plurals

Date: 15 Jun 2007
From:"Marco Hamam" <marco.hamam at poste.it>
Subject:Plurals

Hi everybody. I would like to add another element to the discussion
of plurals in the Quran, if i am allowed.
I already knew the question of اثنتي عشرة أسباطا which,
as far as I know, has not been solved by the mufassirin. Reading the
Quran I had some other big problems with plurals and duals. Maybe you
can help me deal with them and maybe this will be a starting point
for a broader discussion.
Here I give some of the problems I remember (I wrote down the
interested ayas on a piece of paper...it must be somewhere...):

1.
سورة الانسان ، 15 ، 16
وَيُطَافُ عَلَيْهِمْ بِئَانِيَةٍ
مِنْ فِضَّةٍ وَأَكْوَابٍ كَانَتْ
قَوَارِيرَا قَوَارِيرَا مِنْ
فِضَّةٍ قَدَّرُوهَا تَقْدِيراً
/Qawaariir/ is the plural of /qaaruura/. And it is evidently a
DIPTOTE name (in arabic mamnuu3 min aS-Sarf) like, for instance, /
kawaabiis/ as a plural of /kaabuus/ (kawaabisu / kawaabisa) or as the
hundrends of names with /mafaa3iil/ wazn. So why is it /qawaariiraa/
(with a big alif) and not /qawaariira/ with no alif? You'll notice
that later correctors have been puzzled by that and have made this
alif as the alif after waw al-jamaa3a (a prosthetic alif with a sukun
on it). Yet, why is an alif there?

2.
سورة الانسان ، 4
إِنَّا أَعْتَدْنَا لِلْكَفِرِينَ
سَلسِلَا وَأَغْللًا وَسَعِيرًا
Same problem with /salaasilaa/ . Why this last alif? (Where alif
lacks like in /kaafiriin/, /salaasilaa/, /aghlaalaa/, you have to add
the little alif).

3.
سورة الحج ، 19
هَذَانِ خَصْمَانِ اخْتَصَمُوا فِي
رَبِّهِمْ
Why has the dual /khasmaani/ a plural /ikhtaSamuu/ and not a dual
verbal form (+ the pronoun -him instead of -himaa)? Why is it not /
ikhtasamaa fii rabbihimaa/?

4.
سورة التحريم ، 4
  إِنْ تَتُوبَا إِلَى اللَّهِ فَقَدْ
صَغَتْ قُلُوبُكُمَا
The subject of the hypotetical phrase is dual: /in tatuubaa/ . But
then there is /Saghat quluubukumaa/. Why is it not /Saghaa
qalbaakumaa/ given that we have two hearts?

These were the parts I could remember. I hope it will stimulate a
discussion.
Regards,

Marco Hamam