PscyhoPy as alternative to E-Prime?

Michiel Sovijarvi-Spape mspape at cognitology.eu
Wed Oct 10 12:40:56 UTC 2012

Hi,

My 2p: PsychoPy is extremely popular around Nottingham, but then again, the
main developer of the software, Jonathan Peirce, does work there (at
Nottingham Uni, School of Psychology, where I did a postdoc, not Trent, but
I suppose the influence spreads). He is quite approachable, so if you want
to check it out, David, I think you’d best either ask him (or the community)
or install the software yourself, because I can only give you my few
impressions:

* It is pretty good, and they are making the visual drag-and-drop interface
better. The coder is aware of E-Prime and how difficult students can find
it, and has made sure that a lot of it is quite intuitive: loops (re-running
the same trial procedure), for example, are displayed as loops (if I
remember correctly).

* Somebody mentioned python and paradigm: psychopy is built on top of
psychopy and the UI just generates python code. So yes, you can do
“scripting” (urgh), in python. Personally I really dislike Python and felt
this was the most annoying problem of PsychoPy. I am quite certain this is
just me being lazy: I’d sooner learn more C, C++, C#, basic, java, etc, than
learn yet another language… Finnish is difficult enough for now.

* PsychoPy has really cool stimulus features that are both part of Python
(better drawing classes than ebasic) and possibly because of Jonathan’s
interests in psychophysics. Want to display a gabor stimulus in a fine lines
of code? You can! Want to make it rotate? Right-on! …okay, I admit I seldom
want to do that sort of thing, but I’ve come to appreciate that some people
like it.

* I think E-Prime really shines in doing RT experiments, priming experiments
with fantastically accurate timing. PST seems also really fond of that sort
of thing, so I’m suspecting PsychoPy isn’t as well-tested. You can and
should test that, though :)

Hope that helps!

Michiel