Question about resources

Lisa DeWaard Dykstra lisa.dewaard.dykstra at GMAIL.COM
Thu Nov 8 18:15:05 UTC 2007

Dear Colleagues,

A subscriber to the list asked me to clarify a bit some of the details of my
task, specifically what I meant by the text in red below. In Russian the two
address pronouns, *ty* and *Vy*, are used systematically to signal the
perception each interlocutor has of the relationship. Typically, *ty* is
used with intimates and *Vy* with strangers and also with those of higher
status (e.g., bosses, people older than oneself). However, in addition to
this standard usage, there exists a range of manipulation of these forms
which typically occurs in emotionally-charged situations. For example, a
wife who is angry at her husband may switch temporarily from the familiar *
ty* to the distant *Vy* to accent her anger; conversely, a switch from *Vy*to
*ty* can signal a desire to move to a closer, more intimate relationship, be
it a romantic one or a friendship. In my task, I used video clips from
classic Russian films of emotionally-charged situations, some of which
contained a switch from one pronoun or the other and some which did not.
Although none of the respondents picked out the feature consistently, female
respondents as a whole outperformed male respondents to a statistically
significant degree at two separate institutions.

Please let me know if more detail is needed, and thank you in advance for
your ideas!
Lisa