New file uploaded to gothic-l (of eggs and cats and Danes, k.t.l.)

thiudans thiudans at YAHOO.COM
Tue Apr 24 23:06:25 UTC 2007

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "llama_nom" <600cell at ...> wrote:

> Maybe we should have a second, more definitive file which will start
> off small and grow gradually, and only contain words that have been
> posted here (just a few at a time, so that all interested parties have
> chance to reply, and to do any research necessary) for discussion and
> agreed on.
>
> > > "egg ái, n. (addj-)". - Why not addi in nom.?

I have this now as *addjis, na. (z). Is that incorrect? What is the the
second most likely form? Addi?

> > "accusative þula-drusts, a."
> > "genitive aigina-drusts, a."
> > "dative giba-drusts, a."
> > "nominative nama-drusts, a."
> > "instrumental hve-drusts, a." – I guess these are all names of
> > grammatical cases and hence nouns?
>
> Yes, although I suggest we go with your suggestion of: hvana-drus,
> hvis-drus, hvamma-drus, hvas-drus, hve-drus.

I'll include both forms for the time being. drusts has been corrected to
"fi." and drus to "mi.".

> > "stairno-witja", "stairno-leisei". - Weak nouns have –a- as a
> > bindvowel [Braune/Helm, 1952:53], cf. auga-dauro, qina-kunds, wilja-
> > halþei etc. So, maybe stairna-witja, stairna-leisei?

Thank you. Corrected.

> > "briuwan, 1". - Sure, it's not briggwan?
>
> Agreed, it ought to be *briggwan.

Thanks. Corrected. I wonder on some of the stuff that came from Grimm's
ideas. It will have to be re-read to determine value.

> How about: 'kattus', mu. "cat" (=ON köttr, mu., Lat. cattus);
'katto'
> "female cat", fon (=OE catte, etc.); *kataza "male cat, tomcat" (OHG
> chataro).  Romance forms come from Popular Latin *cattus, *catta.  On
> Lat. 'catus', the OED comments: "Palladius, ? c 350, has catus,
> elsewhere scanned ca:tus (Lewis and Short), and prob. in both cases
> properly cattus."

Thank you.

> > "Dane Dana mn." - ON Danir pl. M.-i. Maybe Dans, pl. Daneis;
> > Danimarka?
>
> Agreed.  There is some more detailed discussion of this in the
> Theudiskon archives, if anyone has time to track it down.  If I
> remember rightly, Konrad argued in favour of a regular i-stem in
> Proto-Norse (cf. OE Dene, pl., and the name ON Hálfdanr, OE
> Healfdene), which was only later replaced with weak forms in the
> singular.  I believe we also discussed "English" -- but I don't
> remember any firm conclusion being reached as to whether to
> reconstruct with a vowel intervening betw. /ng/ and /l/.

Yes. I support a medial "i" in Agg(i)l- but I admit both seem possible
going all the way back to PGmc.

> > > "badus, mwa", "badwa, fo". - Shouldn't we mark them as "poetic"?
I'd
> > doubt that they still existed in the spoken language in the time of
> > the Bible translation.
>
> Good idea to mark words as poetic.  ON böð and OE beado are both
fwo.
>  Koebler has: "*badwo, germ., F.: nhd. Kampf, Streit, P[ersonal]
> N[name] ([recorded c.] 100)."  Is there any justification for this
> masculine form?  Can we suppose that it was confined to personal
names?

I'm using "(poet.)" for this. I was going to use a superscript "p" or a
dagger, but then we would get into the problem of having a key or list
of definitions. Badus is marked with "(PN only)".

> > > "fanigs". - faneigs?
>
> Maybe, but for a possible justification for the reduced vowel, see [
> http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/gothic-l/message/9558 ].  Or to
> save complications: *fanahs, like 'stainahs'.

I include the alternative, but I prefer fanigs because it shows
connection to Go. fani (nja.) "mud, mire, clay" and less to Go. fana
(mn.) "flag, piece of cloth".

> > > "Greek (Lat. Graecus) Krekus, ma." - Either Kreks, ma. (attested)
or
> > Krekus, mu.
>
> Go with the attested form, Kreks, surely?!

I've deleted the entry as it does not have a place in a neoligsms list.

> > > "Greens (pol. party) gronjans, ja.pl." - mn. pl.?
>
> I suppose this is just a matter of deciding how we define
> substantivised adjectives.  man.pl. seems like a good idea, given that
> it has a meaning that can't be predicted from knowing that the
> adjective *groneis, ja/jo indicates a certain colour.

Thank you.

> I agree too with the points Uararauans has made about *latists and the
> need for medial -d- in derivatives of liuhaþ, liuahada-.
>
> LN

Corrected.

Thank you for your corrections and suggestions. I'll keep the latest few
versions on the files page with dated titles.

-Th.