Question cocerning the native term for god(s) and imported Christianity

M. Paul Lewis Paul_Lewis at SIL.ORG
Thu Aug 28 20:43:21 UTC 2008

Jimmy:

You might take a look at:

Sanneh, Lamin. 1989. Translating the message. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis Books.

and / or

Sanneh, Lamin. 2003. Whose religion is Christianity? The gospel beyond the
west. Grand Rapids, Michigan: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company.

Sanneh, an African theologian and historian teaching at Yale, looks at the
history of Bible translation and proposes that using the local name(s) for
God plays a significant role in how readily Christianity is accepted and
becomes enculturated in any given setting.
There are disagreements among Bible translators (and Christians generally)
about how the name(s) of God should be treated, with some arguing that the
Judeo-Christian God of the Bible is clearly different from any local deity
and so using the local name is confusing and theologically wrong, probably
leading to misunderstandings of the nature of God as expressed in the
Bible. The Jewish tradition, of course, is that The Name itself is sacred
and so not really translatable nor appropriately used in print (as I have
done here) except through substitutions and metaphorical allusions.
Others (like Sanneh) argue that the local terms can be re-invested with
the theological concepts of the Bible and thus make Christianity more
easily translatable and transferable across cultures.
I'm not aware of any studies that test these claims but I haven't done any
real study in that area. Sanneh give some examples.
Hope this helps,
Paul
*****************
M. Paul Lewis, PhD.
Editor, Ethnologue / International Sociolinguistics Coordinator
SIL International
7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd.
Dallas, TX 75236

Voice: (972) 708-7521
Fax: (972) 708-7589
Cell: (817) 703-8361

Chun Jimmy Huang <huangc20 at UFL.EDU>
Sent by: Indigenous Languages and Technology <ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU>
08/28/2008 02:50 PM
Please respond to
Indigenous Languages and Technology <ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU>

ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU
cc

Subject
[ILAT] Question cocerning the native term for god(s) and imported
Christianity

Tabe (greetings),

I have been looking at a copy of Dutch-English-Siraya St. Mattew's
for Siraya language revitalization (an indigenous Austronesian
language in Taiwan). It was edited by the Dutch missionary Daniel
Gravius in 1661. What I have found is that when translating the
bible to Siraya, Gravius had kept the native term that referred to
god in general, "alid," and used it to refer to the Christian god.
Later I realized that the same applied to other indigenous
languages in Taiwan. That is, the Presbyterian missionaries that
came to Taiwan all kept the native terms for god(s) and
incorporated them into their Christian missions.

Curiously, on the other hand, the Spanish Catholic priests who
went to the Philippines around the same time had replaced the
native terms for god(s) with "Dios".

so the different choices in terms of whether appropriating the
native religious terms into Christianity or not (which may lead to
significant sociolinguistic consequences). It makes me wonder if
such difference in choice is pertinent to (Presbyterian)
Protestant vs. Catholics and/or Dutch vs. Spanish.

I'd much appreciate if anyone can share some insights from the
American experience or from other regions.

madag ki alilid (thanks very much)!

Chun (Jimmy) Huang
PhD candidate,
Linguistics, University of Florida
Special assistant,
Tainan Ping-pu Siraya Culture Association