E-mail interviews for an Undergraduate Thesis on Technology Use

s.t. bischoff bischoff.st at GMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 1 14:04:11 UTC 2010

Hi Monty,

I'm not a community member, but a student and I created a website that
serves as a traditional archive...not what some would consider an electronic
archive however. I work with the Coeur d'Alene language and over the years
have come into possession of a good number of language resources. After
talking with the then director of Language Programs at the Coeur d'Alene
Tribe, I decided to create the website in order that the community could
have easy access to the materials I had been working with over the last few
years in their revitalization efforts. The archive has legacy materials
(over 1,200 pages of unpublished manuscripts), a searchable dictionary, and
a good number of other resources including links to Coeur d'Alene material
online elsewhere. When we began the project the student and I had no idea
how to create a web page. Attached is a paper I'm working on that explains
how the project came about and gives some detail how we learned to create
the website with free online resources. The website can be accessed here
http://academic.uprm.edu/~sbischoff/crd_archive/start1.html<http://academic.uprm.edu/%7Esbischoff/crd_archive/start1.html>.
We've since been given a number of other documents which we will be adding
to the archive in the summer. We also hope to make the archive into what
folks are refering to as electronic archives along the lines of
OLAC<http://www.language-archives.org/>.
I should also note that ILAT has been a great resource when it comes to
getting advice on how to do such things.

A group of undergraduates and I are just completing a survey in English and
Spanish to try and determine how folks are using technology in minority and
endangered language  communities. We will be posting the data online as we
get it.

Best of luck with your students project,
Shannon