[Linganth] First person pronouns

Jo Anne Kleifgen kleifgen at gmail.com
Sun Aug 27 19:34:12 UTC 2017

Hello all,
I had replied to Cyndi directly to her email, but, given the interest, I'm
sharing this with all of you:

I worked on the Vietnamese person-reference system in the context of
workplace discourse in a California circuit board manufacturing plant.
Attached are  a few references; I published an ethnography in 2013 that
offers in detail the work I did with the company over several years. I also
suggest a reference by Luong, which I relied on heavily as I started my
work. Here's one sample of data from Luong, which got me going, and which I
cited in my book:
-----

[image: Inline image 3]

[image: Inline image 1]

That day *elder brother* (employee) claimed illness; *younger sibling*
(supervisor) had to work in *elder brother's* place the whole morning,
does *elder
brother* remember?

1990, p. 14 (underline added)

-----