LL-L "Language maintenance" 2007.08.09 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 05:53:57 UTC 2007

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L   -   09 August 2007 - Volume 01

From: Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong <Dutchmatters at comcast.net>
Subject: LL-L "Literature" 2007.08.07 (01) [E]

Hello Ron,

Thank you so much, for the link to Ruseler's Poem about the "Saxon Farm
House". I enjoyed it immensely; the rhythm that divides the whole in short
pen drawings makes the poem. Just like it was, no nonsense but with a
wistful background. While reading a similar home rose up out of the mists of
my youth. Between Dutch, German and the few words of Twents that I still
remember the meaning was quite clear. However, there are a few words that I
do not know.

here they are: flau; taje; bewohrt;

Could you please give me a translation for them? Thank you. Jacqueline
----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo>
Subject: Literature

Moyen, Jacqueline, beste Naversch (in Europa un Washington), for whom it's
always a pleasure to oblige.

Flau and taje threw me a bit too the way they are used in that dialect.

Where I come from, flau means 'weak', 'fatigued' etc., pretty much like
Dutch flauw. However, I believe in this dialect it means 'soft' and
'sensitive' in this context.

I believe that taj(e) is usually spelled tai(e) in Eastern Friesland Low
Saxon, and it is the equivalent of taag and tage in other dialects, thus a
cognate of Dutch taai and English "tough".

Bewohrt clearly threw you due to the ("stupid") German spelling and the
("stupid") propensity toward writing underlying /aa/ "phonetically" as "o"
in many dialects.  Phonemically written it would thus be bewaard.  Does this
make more sense to you now?  It should, because it ought to be spelled that
way in Dutch: bewaard 'preserved' (inf. bewaren).  (German has bewahrt, so
they want to write it like that, but the LS long "a" is pronounced rounded,
different from German, so they think they need to write bewohrt, hence
mixing it up with genuine "o". Don't get me started!)

So we have this verse in Sassisch Buernhus (Saxon Farmhouse):
Sin Ogen so blau
un de Nack so stief,
van binnen flau
un gesund van Lief,