LL-L "Etymology" 2007.07.28 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Sun Jul 29 00:15:03 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  28 July 2007 - Volume 04

From: Kevin Caldwell <kevin.caldwell1963 at verizon.net
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.07.28 (05) [E]

Surely you mean "poor old sod", where "sod" is short for "Sodomite", but has
taken on other meanings.

Kevin Caldwell
From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

That's apparently correct, Kevin. The meaning "fool" is older (attested
since 1000) and now largely obsolete. The meaning "drunkard" (*OED* "One who
dulls or stupefies himself with drinking; one who commonly or habitually
drinks to excess; a soaker") is attested since 1592 ("The Danes are
bursten-bellied sots, that are to be confuted with nothing but Tankards or
quart pots." ...).

I understand that nowadays it's still a matter of dialect and idiom. For
instance, in the expression "poor (old) sot" it seems to mean "fool" rather
than "drunkard."

----------

From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: LL-L 'Etymology'

Beste Reyben,

kennst' noch de Wärter:

*'Lachoda'*
**
*'Gnatzkopp'*
**
*'Gnoss'?*

I've just had a long talk with my brother this evening, and we inseminated
each other to remember some East Prussian expressions.

(Pssst, Ron- please let our Reuben answer as the first one this time- though
I'm sure you are aware and familiar with/of these words as well as he might
be ;-)!)

Allerbest!
Jonny Meibohm

----------

From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.07.28 (03) [A/E]

 Beste Ron-nextbuer,

Du schreyvst.

> Jonny, I was under the impression that Sott hebben ~ Sutt hebben contains
the equivalent of "soot," which is why traditionally you ought to > touch or
be touched by a chimney sweep ( Sottje(r) ~ Suttje(r)) to get some soot on
you for luck.  This is related to sotten ~ sutten 'to cover > with soot',
and Sottbalken ~ Suttbalken ("soot joist") 'joist above the hearth'. In Old
English it's sót (as opposed to sot 'fool').

And so I thought hitherto! Things like to change if you get able to look
upon them from a different perspective.

And I don't dare or want to say that this my new cognicanze is the last and
utmost truth, but it *"could"*  be another way to get around with things.

Worth a penny??

Allerbest!

Jonny Meibohm