LL-L "Language politics" 2007.06.01 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 19:28:19 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  07 June 2007 - Volume 05

From: Karl-Heinz Lorenz <Karl-Heinz.Lorenz at gmx.net>
Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2007.06.01 (03) [E]

Helge Tietz wrote:
> Our reply was "The reason why tourist come to Eiderstedt is that it is
> different from what they are used to at home in the Ruhr-Valley or
> Southern
> Germany so it would actually increase the touristical attractiveness"...

No doubt about that, it would increase its attractiveness a lot.

Btw, I once was in Husum and I saw a streetname with "-gasse" at the end.
This seemed to me not common in Northern Germany, because I saw it only one
time.  In LS I would expect something like "lane" in E or "laan" in D.

Greetings,
Karl-Heinz Lorenz

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language politics

Karl-Heinz, I would call a Gasse (which sounds very southern to us), thus a
"lane" or "alley," twyt (Twiet < Twiete). Twiete still survives even in
German street names in older parts of Hamburg.

I believe the Low Saxon cognate of both German Gasse and German
Gosse("gutter") is Gaat
(< Gate), in some dialects Gatt, which can also denote various other types
of openings and in some dialects (as in Low Franconian) has taken on the
meaning 'backside', 'derriere'.  And it's related to English "gate" of
course, as well as to Nordic words for 'street': Icelandic gata, Faeroese
gøta, Danish gade, Norwegian gate, Swedish gata (> Finnish katu),  etc.