LL-L "Travels" 2007.06.16 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 22:30:48 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  16 June 2007 - Volume 05

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Travels

Dear Lowlanders,

This is a reminder that our online travel section is up and running and
awaiting contributions. It is being visited by people from all over the
world already, but of course so far they don't find all that much.

lowlands-l.net/travels/

Note that now there is a space for links to the latest postings, under "New"
on the bottom left.

So far there are only two articles. They happen to be on the long and
elaborate side, and they are by yours truly. This is not meant to discourage
brief blurbs, which I expect to be in the majority in the end.  As I said
earlier, a single paragraph will suffice, in any language (though an English
version would be nice).  There's room for a wide variety of formats and
styles.  It's up to you.  But I suspect everyone is waiting for others to
start so they have a sort of template to go by.  Someone has to start
folks!  Or do I have to post a brief model also before you lot get your
little butts in gear?

Remember that the main emphasis is on lesser-known destinations and things
to do, also that this is by no means restricted to the "Old Lowlands" (the
geographical ones in Europe) but should include references to the Lowlands
in a global context and the Lowlands as a non-geographical entity.

Many of you have noticed the language guide section ("What to Say").  As
mentioned on a previous occasion, the aim is to provide a bit of help with
phrases and also with words.  As a minimum, we want to have the languages
listed there already, but any addition is welcome.  In fact, our new member
Chris Kerkhoff deserves a hefty kudos for having contributed the phrases in
Cleves Franconian (Kleverlands, Kleverländisch) of Cuijk, Northern Brabant,
Netherlands, close to the German border. And he provided an audio file as
well.  Bedankt war, bèste Chris! (Chris also added an audio file for the
Cuijks Wren he had provided before he joined us.)  So we now need people to
come up with the following versions of the travel phrases, words and
numbers: Afrikaans, Dutch, Frisian, Limburgish and Scots. Anyone
volunteering for those should get in touch with me so I can prevent
duplication of effort.  Also, since this is about getting around and
surviving in the Lowlands worldwide, relevant non-Lowlands languages ought
to be included.  German is one of them and is included already. Others would
be French, Walloon, Spanish, Portuguese, and also other languages of
Southern Africa. There could be more, of course.  Again, please get in touch
with me if you volunteer for any of these. Furthermore, it would be really
nice to have basic comparative lists of special vocabulary and phrases
in American,
Australian, British, Canadian, New Zealand, Scottish and South African
English (and there could be others).  In this and anything else, group
collaboration is encouraged.

Thanks in anticipation!