LL-L "Etymology" 2007.06.16 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 22:36:51 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  16 June 2007 - Volume 06

From: Kevin and Cheryl Caldwell <kevin.caldwell1963 at verizon.net>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.06.16 (01) [E]

Hmm, just speculating on this: perhaps the –jak part is akin to English
"jack", and the street leads to the mechanism for raising and lowering a
drawbridge???

Kevin Caldwell

From: jonny  <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.06.15 (09) [E]

Hoyza! Just looking over the fence, into the *'Woordeliest'* of our
friend *Piet
Bult* I find the Stellingwarfs word 1. 'tille': NL 'bruggetje', E 'little
bridge' or 2. 'tille: NL 'doorwaadbare plaats', E 'ford', G 'Furt'; 3.
'tille': NL 'til', E 'to lift', G 'aufheben'.

'Little bridge' or 'ford' could both be of great plausability- could be a
forgotten (just me who forgot it?) word of our German Low Saxon or been
brought by Dutch settlers or engineers engaged to build the dikes and
drainage systems (we had/have a lot of both of them, in the past and still
today)!!

Piet also has enlisted 'jak' but his translation into Standard Dutch also is
'jak'- and I don't find it in any dictionary for NL>>G. (I'd *like* to
 guess it could be E 'jacket' in any very special, technical meaning!!??)

Indeed- the word reminded me of Dutch from the very beginning!