LL-L "Songs" 2007.05.28 (04) [E/German]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Mon May 28 22:06:18 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  28 May 2007 - Volume 04

From: Karl-Heinz Lorenz <Karl-Heinz.Lorenz at gmx.net>
Subject: LL-L "Songs" 2007.05.26 (01) [E]

> And stealing an "anthem" from Ireland? What next? Go to Austria's highest
> heights and rip off "Auf d'Wulda, auf d'Wulda, da scheint d'Sunn a so
> gulda," "Der Weg zu mein Dirndl is stoanig," "Di-ri-ti ria ha-ho, wal's
> grad
> so gmüatlich is da" or "In die Berg bin i gern"?   With all them po'wits
> and
> kimposers on board? I think we can do better, though I'd hate to see
> anything that would be power to the cause of those in Germany that have
> categorized us as nationalistic weirdos without knowing the first thing
> about us (dealing with "Germanic" across borders ... See?).

Jetzt übertreib nicht, so ist das von mir aus nicht gemeint! Don't take
these things all too serious! I know I'm younger than you and so I can't
give you advice. So only some thoughts about that from me und ich schreib'
das jetzt auf Deutsch: Keiner von uns wünscht sich einen neuerlichen
deutschen Chauvinismus. Aber ist diese ganze politische Korrektness nicht
übertrieben? Sind wir Politiker, die sich vor der ganzen Welt dauernd
rechtfertigen müssen für etwas, dass sie/wir selber gar nicht erlebt haben,
sondern nur vom Hörensagen und gescheiten und weniger gescheiten Büchern
kennen? Und müssen wir dauernd Angst davor haben, nicht politisch korrekt zu
sein? Nur weil irgendwelche Ignoranten die Beschäftigung mit Sprache und
Kultur in die Schublade "nationalistic and weird" abqualifizieren?

"The Wild Rover" is a good melody for an anthem, already often used with
different lyrics. If I wrote the lyrics should be reversed in the meaning, I
meant, this repeating negation in the chorus should be changed into an
affirmation something like:

And it's now and forever
It's certain, I'm sure
I will stay in the lowlands
Will leave it no more

The verses could be written from the point of view of a sort of a prodigal
son/daughter who is back again to the lowlands so the verses could be
something like:

I've travelled the world
I've been on my one
There were many a place
I felt quite at home

BTW this is quite similar to Ina Müller's "De Wind vun Hamborg".

Then there could be descriptions of different places, also in different
lowlandic and also non-lowlandic languages as Irish for example.

I know this wouldn't be high crop, no E-Musik (ernste Musik), but U-Musik
(Unterhaltungsmusik), some would find it kitschy. But I think the Irish
would not regard it as a stolen thing, on the contrary, they would be proud
of delivering the music for the "Lowlands song". And I don't see anything
weird pan-germanic or the likes in it, this would not be: "Lowlands,
Lowlands über alles". I don't see that, but can't really do the lyrics,
because, you know I'm not stuck on the Waterkant ...

Best wishes,
Karl-Heinz

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Songs

Karl-Heinz,

I think you misunderstood me, and of course you could give me advice (since
I don't think in hierarchical ways).  My tongue was in my cheek as far as
you were concerned.

What I was referring to was that especially in our early days some people in
Germany had made up their minds about us in the described manner, without
knowing anything about us.  What was really behind it was their chagrin over
putting "Low German" into an international rather than strictly German
context, i.e. outside their territory.  Some unfair categorizations and
allegations were made then, and the fact that "Germanic" (though strangely
not "Indo-Germanic") has been thrown out with the bath water added fuel to
it.  As far as I am concerned, it was a case of the old box in liberal
disguise.  Nevertheless, allegations of that type are upsetting even if you
think they aren't, and I consider it wisest to stay away from anything that
can easily be construed or twisted as nationalistic or the like.

Actually, I've never heard "De Wind vun Hamborg".

Thanks for reminding me that you may submit new lyrics to existing tunes.
But careful!  Do not use existing tunes that are still copyrighted, unless
you can prove permission!

I believe (i.e. am not sure) that the tune of La paloma is no longer
copyrighted, only specific newer versions and performances of it are. This
is why its original Spanish lyrics are in the public domain and can be found
online, while for instance the German version and No More (Elvis Presley's
version of it in Blue Hawaii) have been withdrawn online because there have
been copyright issues lately.

I don't think there are Low Saxon words to La paloma, Karl-Heinz.

Incidentally, La paloma surely counts among the most beloved, most
performed, most rewritten and most misunderstood songs ever. It sure was my
father's favorite.  Like so many people of his generation, he believed it
was German, because Hans Albers had sung it in German in a famous 1930s
movie.  Later on, some of us were so clever and pronounced it was Mexican,
and we'd sing it in Spanish to shock the "old fogeys." True, most Mexicans
still believe it's from Mexico, where it's performed most often with a
noticeable Maxican twist,* and people in many parts of the world assume that
it's a folksong. But it was actually written as a new song in the Habanera
style by the Spaniard Sebastián de Iradier y Salaverri (Salberri) (>
Sebastián Yradier, 1809-1865) after a visit to Cuba. It is a beautiful song,
a poignant love song.  It deals with a man leaving Havana and his
chinita("Indian girl"?).  Of course, in the old days this meant he was
leaving on a
ship, but this in itself didn't make it the seafarer's song it was made into
later.

* an old recording of a rendition by La Banda de Zapadores de México:
  www.gutenberg.org/files/10255/10255-m/10255-m-001.mp3

Below is the updated contest information. The final ones will be posted
online.

***

   - Beginning:
   Right now (i.e. as we "speak")
   - End (Deadline):
   Sunday, April 15, 2008, at 00.01 GMT (the official beginning of our
   13th anniversary month)
   - Eligibility:
   All persons that are Lowlands-L members at the time of submission,
   individually or in collaboration, irrespective of location and ethnic
   background
   (Jury members may submit works but may not vote for their own
   submissions.)
   - Acceptable works:
   Any of the following, individually or in combination, all on the theme
   "Lowlands", preferably representing all parts:
   - Singable poetry
         - Lyrics for songs whose tunes have not yet been written
         - Lyrics to existing tunes (as long as no copyright is
         broken)
         - Musical works (i.e. tunes with or without multi-part
      arrangements) that are or can be accompanied by lyrics
      - Stand-alone musical works (i.e. tunes with or without
      multi-part arrangements)
   - Format:
   Any of the following, individually or in combination:
   - Electronic text formats (minimum for lyrics)
      - Sheet music and/or MIDI files (minimum for musical
      compositions)
      - MP3 or WAVE audio recordings (optional for spoken or sung
      lyrics and for musical compositions)
      - Digital video recordings (optional for spoken or sung lyrics
      and for musical compositions)
   - Language:
   Any Lowlands language
   in cases of non-English works with the addition of a publishable
   English translation or summary
   (Singable translations may follow by way of another contest.)
   - Unwanted subjects:
      - Adults-only material
      - Ad hominem and ad natinem put-downs
      - Glorification of mind-altering substances
   - Supplementary material:
      - Authors' and composers' names, general locations, and brief
      introductions (minimum)
      - Authors' and composers' photographs (optional)
      - Number of submissions per person or team:
   No limit
   - Length of works:
   No limit [1]
   - Revisions:
   Submissions may be revised (i.e. withdrawn, altered and resubmitted)
   until the deadline
   - Withdrawal:
   Anytime
   - Copyright
   remains with the creators, who by way of submission give Lowlands-L
   the right to publish and use the works
   - Reward:
      - Honorary mention and publication as a minimum for all entries
      - Exposure (which could lead to great things)
      - First prize for lyrics: title of LPL = "Lowlands Poet(s)
      Laureate" [2]
      (which automatically comes with a mat next to the Kahuna's and
      Sandy's, a double mat if Sandy is the winner)
      - First prize for musical composition: title of LCL = "Lowlands
      Composer(s) Laureate" (or CSP = Compositore straordinario delle
      Pianure) [2]
      - First prize for performance: title of OLP = "Outstanding
      Lowlands Performer(s)" (or AEP = Artiste(s) extraordinaire(s)
      des Plaines) [2]
   - Publication:
   wherever deemed appropriate in consultation with the copyright owners:
   - On Lowlands web pages
      - Possibly in printed publications of the List and elsewhere
   - Jury:
   To be appointed
   (Applications and nominations welcome)
   - Contact:
   lowlands.list at gmail.com (and/or sassisch at yahoo.com)
   Subject line: "LL-L Song Contest"

_____
[1] Go right ahead if you wish to put the Beowulf, the Mahābhārata or the Manas
Destanı to shame!
[2] The acronyms may follow a person's name