LL-L "Language politics" 2007.10.06 (01) [E]

Sat Oct 6 17:58:48 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  06 October 2007 - Volume 01

From: Heinrich Becker <heinrich.becker at gmx.net>
Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2007.10.05 (02) [E]

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2007.10.05 (01) [E]

Apart from the fact that there aren't enough "native" teachers, a standard
would have to be found for teaching (and for textbooks), and that would
violate and soon kill off what remains of regional dialects. I doubt that
hundreds of different local varieties would be taught, as they ought to be!
Please keep in mind that Lower Saxon is NOT Welsh, the situation we have
here is quite different indeed.

            Bravo Gabriele,

from my point of view a revival of Low German can be achieved with priority
in regions, where Low German still is a common language. Educating LG in
schools, I agree with Jonny, would probably cause more problems in that
labile system. We all know, what happened with "Russian" in former East
Germany, a hated subject.

Educational systems and ways e.g. on private basis have to be found to keep
the language. Some hundred years ago different languages in Europe e.g.
Finnish and the Baltic languages (there are more) have only survived,
because the users found a space to carry on their lingual and cultural
identity. This was the church. I am realistic enough to think that this only
could luck in current bible belt of the U.S. but not in secular Europe. What
I try to explain is, there must be a movement which can enthusiast people
for an idea like that.

I'm waiting for other ideas and even better for deeds.

Kumpelmenten

Heinrich Becker