LL-L "Etymology" 2007.10.18 (01) [E]

Thu Oct 18 15:10:52 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  18 October 2007 - Volume 01

From: "heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk" <heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.10.17 (02) [E]

jonny wrote:
What do you think about a relation to LS: 'ruug', E: 'rough'?

Dear Jonny
What a co-incidence! We also have 'Rough' as a place name locally e.g.
Pugh's Rough    I had never considered any connection but would be v v happy
to hear more.
Does LS 'ruug' get used as part of places names?
And if so, would it mean - former heath land / poorish land?
In English 'rough' can mean uncultivated ground i.e. in golf if the ball
runs off the fairway into the long grass, it goes into the rough.

What other spellings of 'ruug' might there be?

V interesting! Thank you!

Heather

(Rendall)

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com >
Subject: Etymology

Hi, Heather!

In order to increase the number of my quince points:

According to the Oxford English Dictionary, besides the archaic name "rough"
for a type of fish (cognate of "ray," still surviving in "orange ruffy," I
assume), "rough" as a noun denotes the following things that seem relevant
here:

   - The roughness or rough surface *of* something
   - Rough or broken ground
   - A stretch of rough ground; *esp.* a steep bank or slope covered with
   undergrowth or trees; a coppice. Now *local*.
   - The rough ground at the edge of, or between the greens on, a
   golf-course.

Spellings over time:

   - Old English: *rúh*, r*ú*ƽ, hruh, hruhh, ruhe, ruchƺe,
   - Old Scots: ruch, reucht, rwch; roh, rohu, rohw, roche, rocht, roch
   - Middle English: rouh, rowh, routh, rowth, *rúw-*
   - Middle Scots: rouch, rouche, rowch

In place names it sometimes turned into "row".

Cognates (with some extra research by moi):

   - Frisian: *rûch* (*rûg-*)
   - Old Saxon: rūgi 'rough blanket', rūwi 'rough animal coat'
   - Middle Saxon: *rûch*, *rûge* (> ruug, often spelled ruuch, Danish
   rug)
   - Middle Dutch:* ruuch* (*rugh-*), *ruych* (> ruw)
   - Old German: *ruuh*, *rûh*, *rûch*, *ruoch* (> rauh)

Personally I consider English "rug" to belong to this, which in English
appears to be an early Scandinavian loan that appeared in the Middle English
period. Consider Norwegian rugga, *rugga*, *rogga* 'coarse coverlet' (also *
skinnrugga* 'skin-rug'; *ruggefeld* 'shaggy cloak'), Swedish *rugg* 'ruffled
or coarse hair', 'frizz', *rugge* 'tuft', etc. < Old Norse rǫgg, cognate of
English "rag" (< ragge < ragg).

Also, I wonder if French perruque (< *perrucque*, *perruque*, > "periwig" >
"wig"), which is often suspected of being related to *perroquet* 'parakeet',
is a partial Germanic loan incorporating "rough" (see above) in the sense of
'frizzy', 'curly'.