LL-L "Idiomatica" 2007.10.19 (02) [E]

Fri Oct 19 14:17:56 UTC 2007

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L  -  19 October 2007 - Volume 01

From: "Ben J. Bloomgren" <ben.j.bloomgren at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica" 2007.10.18 (03) [E]

 However, it's used far less than it is in English. I wonder if the
frequency with which it is used in English has something to do with Britain
being an
island that is fairly narrow east-west but is fairly long north-south.

Possibly so. We don't use compass directions that religiously down in
Arizona, but we do use up for north and down for south as I said.
Unfortunately there are people who don't know what direction things are in
comparison to one another, and they'll say "I'm down in Oregon and you are
up in Arizona".
Ben

From: Ed Alexander <edsells at cogeco.ca>
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica" 2007.10.18 (09) [E]