LL-L "Etymology" 2007.09.26 (02) [E/LS]

Wed Sep 26 21:10:45 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  26 September 2007 - Volume 02

From: Marcel Bas <marcelbas at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.09.26 (02) [D/E]

Dear Mark and Reinhard,

You wrote:

"My only contribution here is that the '-a' suffix denotes affection *
without* dimunition, but  only where it is an obvious suffix. For 'baba',
for example, this doesn't apply, nor for padda. The necessary suffix of
affection or dimunition in both cases would be 'babatjie' & 'paddatjie'. On
the other hand 'boeta' is a suitable term of address to an elder brother
from a younger, where 'boetie' wouldn't be well received, & 'vola' for your
volkswagen, ''Voeta' for your buddy with *big* feet etc. Afrikaans needs the
'-a' suffix."

And:

"Mark, I wonder if this endearing -a you talked about is related to
traditional (and now apparently disappearing) -a added to monosyllabic or
abbreviated names of males in Low Saxon of Germany.  The best known of these
is Kalla for Karl (Charles); cf. Swedish Kalle for Karl.  In the ancient
days of my childhood I'd also hear forms like Willa ( ~ Willi) for Willem ~
Wilhelm (William) and Freda (~ Fredi) for Fredrich ~ Friedrich (Frederic)."

Very interesting!! So it is still a suffix, and a productive one! I
never expected this. It sounds rather exotic, but Low Saxon being one of the
languages that contributed to Afrikaans, we shouldn't rule out this European
origin of -a. Maybe the use was enhanced (or conserved) by the presence of
common Afrikaans words of non-Germanic origin, such as *kamma, abba,
hoeka/toeka* and *gogga*.

Best regards,

Marcel.

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Marcel,

The jury is still out on this one.

Come to think of it, we are quite likely dealing with -er instead of -a.
After all, they sound the same in most dialects, and this suffix is hardly
ever written and is merely approximated if it is.

So it might as well be Kaller instead of Kalla.

From: "M.-L. Lessing" <marless at gmx.de>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.09.25 (02) [LS/German]

Leve Jonny,

dat süht allens ut, as weern dor Verbinnen, man ik kann un kann dat nich
glöven, dat "Kröte" wat mit "itchy" un "kratzen" to doon hebben schall! De
"itch" is för mi dat Jücken; Kratzen, dat is de *Afhülp* dorgegen, also
meist dat Gegendeel :-) Un denn verbinn ik mit dat Jücken ja doch dröge
Huut, Sprödigkeit, un wat hebbt Kröten? Glitschig natte Butensiet. Kannst Di
vörstelln, dat en Krööt jemalen wat jücken deit? Dat se ehr Been heevt un
sik achter 't Ohr kratzt? Da steiht min ganzes "Buuk-Geföhl" gegenan. Kann
de "Verwandtschap" nich doch Tofall ween?

Hartlich!

Marlou

P.S. Köönt Kröten eentlich ok hojahnen? Ik heff all Aarten Deerten hojahnen
sehn, ok Vagels; man Reptilien orr Amphibien, da kann ik mi nich op
besinnen.