LL-L "Language politics" 2007.09.27 (01) [E]

Thu Sep 27 16:01:09 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  27 September 2007 - Volume 01

From: Henry Pijffers <henry.pijffers at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2007.09.22 (02) [E/LS]

Mike wrote:

> Let me grab the bull by the horns, Marcus: What about defining an immediate
> goal (e.g. Ortsschilder or Lehrpläne or radio/TV)) and undertake
> media-effective actions until the goal is achieved. E.g. activists chain
> themselves to the entrances of the parlament buildings in, say, Kiel or
> Hannover. I live far away, my base is in Occitània (commonly known as
> Southern France), right now I live in Florida, but for this I would come
> to LS immediately. Do you think, Marcus, we could get together a core
> of a sufficient number of activists to undertake such action.?
> I am serious.

Never been to either Kiel or Hannover, but such a cause would probably get
me there :)

Ron wrote:

> I think it was Marcus who pointed out that some activists of Cornish -- a
> language in much more dire straits but with an admirably active language
> revival lobby -- now offer a free service of translating short texts into
> Cornish. It is this that tickles our fancy right now with regard to Low
> Saxon. So, what would be needed is a band of volunteers (preferably
> representing the basic dialect groups, since there is no general standard)
> that come up with Low Saxon translations people request. These could be
> brief texts for signs, websites, t-shirts, placards, posters, slogans, etc.

I'm in.

cheers,
Henry

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language politics

Look whom the cat dragged in!  It's our Henry!  Great to hear from you
again, amicus Hendricus!

Those of you who aren't aware of this already, Henry's dialect of Low Saxon
is of the Twente area on the Netherlands side of the divide.

Kumpelmenten,