LL-L "Etymology" 2008.04.20 (07) [E]

Sun Apr 20 22:07:13 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 20 April 2008 - Volume 07
the html toggle at the bottom of the archived page.

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2008.04.19 (05) [E]

 From: Daniel Prohaska <daniel at ryan-prohaska.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2008.04.19 (03) [E]
*Reinhard*
*I've got a simpler explanation. I suspect "firth" is from the ON dative
<firði>, which is often found in place names because locative prepositions
<á> and <í> take the dative.*
*Dan*
 From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology
"You're more than welcome, Sandy, as far as I am concerned.
>>"Firth" is from "fjord"? The things you learn!<<
Well, Old Norse has *fjorðr *(also spelled *fj**ǫ**rðr*, pronounced [ˈfjɔrðr
̩], > Modern Icelandic *fjörður*). There's a fricative in there, hence the
"th".
My theory is that the donor variety ("Old Danish"? "Old Norwegian"?), which
may have already cast off the old *-r* (or else people recognized it as a
foreign morpheme), had an umlauted version (**fjörð* [fjœrð] or **f(j)yrð*[f(j)
ʏrð]). This might explain the vowel in "firth".
Regards,
Reinhard/Ron"