LL-L "Projects" 2008.08.04 (03) [E]

Mon Aug 4 19:07:05 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 04 August 2008 - Volume 03

From: Pat Reynolds <pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Projects" 2008.08.04 (01) [E]

In message <57c981290808040912n541e217eo7116360bfb0ef025 at mail.gmail.com>,
Lowlands-L List <lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM> (ie. Reinhard/Ron) writes

Furthermore on the top of my extensive wish list are versions in the
following outside the Lowlands:

Friulan

I know the Friulan author Paulo Peron - if someone could write about the
project (in Italian), I will forward this on.

Romany

Do you mean the language spoken by Gypsies in England?  Or the language
spoken by continental Roma? And there is Calo in Spain.

There is also the language of Travellers-of-Irish-descent (Shelta, Gammen,
Sheldru, Pavee, Caintíotar or Cant).

Anyway .... I know some Gypsies, and some Irish Travellers, so if either
languages are of interest, let me know, and I will pass on the request.

Anyone wanting to listen to Gypsies and Travellers speaking English can tune
in to Rokker Radio ("talk radio") online:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/networks/three/aod.shtml?three/rokker_radio

Cheers, or, as my Friulan friends say, Mandi!

Pat

--
Pat Reynolds

It may look messy now ...
       ... but just you come back in 500 years time (T. Pratchett).

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Projects

Thanks, Pat, as always.

All ethno-specific South-Asian-derived language varieties of the Roma
("Gypsies") are "Romany" (including Romany Jib of Britain, Kalo (Caló) and
Sinti).

Anyway .... I know some Gypsies, and some Irish Travellers, so if either
languages are of interest, let me know, and I will pass on the request.

"If"?! Hello! Maybe I should pin up another clear sign on the index page to
say that ALL language varieties are more than welcome.  I guess I will.

OK. Beyond the Lowlands, this presentation celebrates language diversity in
general, and it turns out that this is a nice way of enticing "people out
there" into our area of interest.
I know the Friulan author Paulo Peron - if someone could write about the
project (in Italian), I will forward this on.

That would be wonderful. If I drafted it, would someone correct my Italian?
(Yes, just write to me privately. I won't mention you by name if you don't
want me to.)

Thanks.