LL-L "Language studies" 2008.07.01 (04) [E]

Tue Jul 1 22:04:56 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 01 July 2008 - Volume 04

From: Ivison dos Passos Martins <ipm7d at OI.COM.BR>
Subject: vowel sounds

Dear Lowlanders,

   Are the words for book and similar /oo/words in English  pronounced
the same way in all Lowlandic languages? In German and Dutch it is
pronounced like in English book, buch and boek share the /oo/ sound.
Is there any other language or dialect in which we may hear the long o
sound insted of that /u/ sound as in English?
   I remember hearing something like /bôk/ or /bouk/ for buch/boek I'm
not sure - 'ô / ou' sound as in 'old', from a friend of mine
who lived in the South part of Brazil, where there are many German and
Dutch colonies that have preserved their languages.
   Thanks,

    Ívison.

----------

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Language studies" 2008.07.01 (03) [E]

Muito obrigado, Ivison e Reginaldinho,

I read that Leonese or Asturian or both (Northern Spanish coast) do have
neuter nouns, mostly mass nouns such as 'water', 'grain', 'sand', 'oil'
etc. and that there are seperate articles for neuter and masculine. I
think to remember that masculine articles/nouns end in -u, and neuter ones
in -o. The same thing occurs in a few Italian dialects, if I recall right.

About Danish (and Swedish and Norwegian) articles den, det, de preceding
adjectives before nouns, is there any evidence that this comes from
influence by Low Saxon? Because normally the articles are suffixes in the
North Germanic languages: -en, -et, -a etc.

Ingmar