LL-L "Language varieties" 2008.11.17 (01) [E]

Mon Nov 17 16:38:51 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 17 November 2008 - Volume 01

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2008.11.15 (05) [E]

From: Ed Alexander <edsells at cogeco.ca>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2008.11.15 (03) [E]Even though the "two"
languages (Serbian and Croatian) are (I am told) about as far apart as the
two dialects (based on religion) spoken in Ulster, they are written in two
different alphabets!

Ed Alexander, Hamilton, Canada

Before Yugoslavia broke up, they were often officially colectively called
"Serbo-Croat". In the Sixties, I knew a couple of kids of Yugoslav parents
who did "O" Level GCSE Serbo-Croat (it was an easy way to get an extra "O"
Level if you spoke it anyway). I think they wrote with the Latin alphabet,
so it was probably more Croatian than Serbian.

In Wollongong, Australia, there are large populations of both communities.
They arrived as immigrants from Yugoslavia, but very much split themselves
into Serb or Croat communities, and there remains little love lost between
them, even amongst the younger ones, some of whom probably couldn't find
Serbia on a map.

Paul Finlow-Bates