LL-L "Grammar" 2008.10.16 (06) [E]

Thu Oct 16 17:40:38 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 16 October 2008 - Volume 06

From: Ivison dos Passos Martins <ipm7d at OI.COM.BR>
Subject: Linguistics Plattdüütsche

Dear friends,

  I've been studying a little Plattdüütsche , thanks to
lowlandsl.net/grammar/ and I'd like to know how to differ the neuter
article "dat" from the demonstrative "dat". How would a native say the
house and that house? Is the distinction only in saying dat daar Huus?
  Thanks,

    see you.

   Ívison

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Grammar

Moin, Ívison!

Since the website you mentioned is mine, I will answer first. Others may
give you different answers.

And please be aware that I am working on a new and much improved English
version which is temporarily posted here:

http://lowlands-l.net/grammar-new/

I had hoped to make some more progress on it this month, but all sorts of
other things have been interfering with it.

Anyway, in most Northern Low Saxon (Low German) dialects there are five uses
of d*at*:

   - neuter definite article (corresponding to *it* and *et* in other
   dialects, Dutch *het*, German *das*)
   - neuter personal pronoun ('it', Dutch *het*, German *es*), having
   replaced earlier *it* and *et* which survive in some dialect
   - neuter demonstrative ('that', Dutch *dat*, German *das*)
   - relative pronoun or adverb ('that', Dutch *dat*, German *dass*)

Since the older demonstrative *dat* has replaced the older neuter article *
it* ~ *et*, the difference in use can only be told by context and
intonation; e.g.

*dat huus* 'that house' (aquela casa)
*dat huus* 'the house'' (a casa)

Where demonstration needs to be clarified or emphasized you can add
*daar*'there', e.g.

*dat daar huus * (aquela casa)
*dat huus daar * (aquela casa)

both meaning 'that house (there)' (or 'that thar house' in some English
dialects).

Similarly, in the case of demonstrative pronouns *daar* can be added for
clarity or emphasis:

*Is dat (daar) dyn huus?* 'Is that your house (there)?'
*Nee, dat daar.* 'No, that (over) there.'

I hope this answered your question, Ívison.

Kumpelmenten,