LL-L "Language learning" 2008.10.22 (04) [E]

Wed Oct 22 21:02:27 UTC 2008

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L - 22 October 2008 - Volume 04

From: Marcus Buck <list at marcusbuck.org>
Subject: LL-L "Language learning" 2008.10.21 (03) [E]

From: Jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de <mailto:jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>>

Subject: LL-L "Language learning"

Dear Lowlanners, Marcus Buck in special!

As far as I could experience our Marcus is (besides Reginhard e.a.) the one
with the greatest ambitions to save our Low Saxon language. So, Marcus, I've
sent you this mail on your own account, too, because this might be another,
realistic idea to help LS keeping alive.

Having been forced to look into my sons English book (at occasional
vocabulary training :-() I always found out that the authors of it have done
some progress compared with my time as a pupil. Today they try to build
bridges from the English vocabulary to the German one, when listing up a
related word though it might not be the obvious exact translation. For
example E 'to turn' v.s. G 'turnen', E 'to keep' v.s. G 'Kiepe' ('bag') and
so on.

Well, as you might remember I try to give him some basic knowledge
concerning LS, and thus I often complete this row of related words by any
Low Saxon word, for example E 'above' vs. LS 'baoben', which isn't obvious
to him at the very first glance. Why not complete this catalogue of related
words including 'Plattdeutsch'?

Now, Marcus, you might argue that it's probably impossible to convince the
publishing companies of those books to add Low Saxon analogies as an
supplemental help for the pupils. And I think, you'd pretty right there.

But what about the fact that by law there does exist, as you know, a
postulation that children growing up within the relevant areas have a right
to learn, at school!, this minority language of their heimat? Just a handful
of schools (I just know it from Hamburg) try to follow this rule, but with
very low acceptance and success.

Not complete the books, the main books themselves - we wouldn't succeed at
that point.

But - if we could convince the responsible persons, maybe in the secretary
of education in Hannover as well as the owners of 'Klett' or whateverelse,
to catch two flies with one trap?

Only an additional 'Beiheft' with LS relations for vocabulary training,
facultative perhaps? For a low price (I'm thinking of ca. 10,--EURO)? I'm
nearly sure this would be accepted by a lot of teachers and parents in Northern
Germany.

Now it's your term, man!

Allerbest!

Jonny Meibohm

Sounds very interesting. I guess this could really work. But you have to do
some lobbying for it. Few bussinesses do anything venturous. They are very
quick in copying from competitors the things which have demonstrated to be
successful, but doing something really new? I guess that would need much
lobbying.
But writing a school book would perfectly fit into Wikibooks. Wikibooks is
about writing learning materials. It would be possible to write a _free_
book for use in school. But of course it has to follow the curriculum
published by the ministry of education. Are their curricula available
online?

Marcus Buck

(Is this actually a new idea? After some thinking about it, I believe, this
is abviously so good an idea, I can't imagine they don't already had it in
earlier times. In the Fifties there were that many speakers of Low Saxon
left [left is not the right word, they were the majority], they would have
been very dumb, if they had not included references to Low Saxon analogies
in their books [at least, that's my opinion]. School books are a consumption
ware, which is not commonly stored in public or private libraries, I have
seen no school book from the Fifties ever in my life. Perhaps there were
books with references to Low Saxon cognates around at that time. Does
anybody know?)