LL-L "Etymology" 2009.08.12 (02) [EN-NL]

Wed Aug 12 17:59:30 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 12 August 2009 - Volume 02
lowlands at lowlands-l.net - http://lowlands-l.net/

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2009.08.10 (04) [EN-NL]

In the English Public School system (which is actually a private school
system, just to confuse outsiders), a "fag" was traditionally a junior boy
assigned to do menial tasks for seniors (polishing shoes, pressing clothes,
tidying up etc)..  The idea was to teach the concept of service, regardless
of wealth or privelege.

Don't know if they still do it; probably falls foul of European Human Rights
laws or something.  The modern American slang use of the word "fag" has
probably forced it out of currency now.

Paul
Derby
England

----------

From: R. F. Hahn
<sassisch at yahoo.com<http://uk.mc264.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=sassisch@yahoo.com>

Subject: Etymology

Paul, folks,

And outside American English there's the slang use if "fag" in the sense of
"cigarette".  According to the *OED*, it comes from "fag-end", "fag" being
something that hangs down loosely, from "to fag" 'to hang down loosely', now
all obsolete, also of obscure origin. (Might it be of Celtic origin?) So
"fag" for 'cigarette' originally referred to a cigarette butt.

Some see a connection between these and "to faik" (obsolete but possibly
preserved in some Scots varieties) 'to falter', 'to fail', especially of a
limb. And here appears to be a connection with Old Saxon *fakôn* and Middle
Dutch *vaeken* 'to slumber'. Aha!

Personally I believe that this is related to obsolete "to fag" in the sense
of 'to droop', 'to decline', 'to fall off', which also can mean 'to do
something tiring', 'to labor', also 'to cause to become fatigued'. The noun
version "fag" apparently developed into "fag" in the British "public" school
system.

The American slang word "fag" for a male homosexual comes from "faggot"
which can be used in the same way. It comes from French (Norman?)
*fagot*for a bundle of twigs (kindling) bound together (which came to
be used in
Roman and Mongolian politics to symbolize strength in unity), also once used
for filling up ditches in military operations. Its reference to burning
developed into "fag" referring to the practice of burning heretics and other
"sinners" alive. Beginning with the late 16th century it came to
derogatively mean 'woman', if you believe it or not. It was also used to
denote a stand-in or dummy, a person hired to fill in in case of deficiency
in a military company muster.

How "fag(got)" arose out of all this in the sense of "homosexual man" isn't
clear to me. There seem to be several possibility ("boy under another's
command", "heretic worth burning", "dummy (= not a "real" man)",
"woman(-like)" and other not so pretty things). It started off in "criminal
slang" and was first recorded in 1914, apparently interchangeably with
"sissy".

Oh, and German *Fagott* (with cognates in numerous languages) denotes a
bassoon, from Italian *fagotto* 'bundle', thus related to "faggot'.

Seattle, USA