LL-L "Language varieties" 2009.06.05 (06) [NL]

Fri Jun 5 21:28:40 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 05 June 2009 - Volume 06

From: Hellinckx Luc <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology"

Beste Roger,

You wrote:
**

*Roger Thijs** **raised the **topic of** "** **Verkavelingsvlaams,
Verkavelingsnederlands". In my opinion the main feature of this kind
of (reprehensible)
substandard Belgian Dutch, being neither standard Dutch nor dialect,
consists of using the inversed verbal forms for the second person, which
usually sound something like 'gade mee, doede gij' (ga je , doe jij). I
pride myself that my native tongue, Tiens (and also nearby Hoegaardens) is
the only dialect in all of Brabantish that has been spared this kind of what
I like to call "kreupel Nederlands". We say "gaat ge, doet gij" , **[Äx«]
[d¬´U xE√π]** **I'm qu**ite sure a lot of people might want to disagree. I'm
looking forward to your opinion and remarks.
*

Is it "een man" in Tiens or "ne man/ene man"? Does anybody north of the
Moerdijk still pronounce "station" the way we Southerners do...or is it
"stesjon"?

I mean, how many people are willing and able to speak standard 24/7? As a
teacher of math (in Zaventem), I'm trying to speak standard Dutch as often
as possible. However, I don't want to sound like Martine Tanghe when I'm out
there in the wild, camping with my students. Off the record, Martine Tanghe
does a perfectly fine job when she's reading the news, but there are
situations where her style just won't cut it...bonding, you know.

Students are very sensitive to the right vocabulary and I'm permanently
aware of that. As soon as I start using typical Northern Dutch expressions,
they react more or less as if I'm talking Swahili. Mix some English/French
in your speech and few will bother. Northern Dutch, they freeze. Some of my
students are "Hollanders" though, and when addressing them in private I will
swiftly switch registers again.

In a non-professional situation, most of the time I say:

"dürre gaa" (instead of doe jij)
"gojrre gaa" (ga jij)
"mütte gaa" (moet jij)
"zèrre dàà" (ben je daar?)
"ge zè gaa grat a bruu(r)...alle twïe zjust aale pajt/våår" (je bent
helemaal je broer...allebei sprekend jullie vader)

If one wants to express the similarity between two people, he could also
say:

"'t És zö pajt op nen doët" (op eenen duit < op ende uit)

Nowadays, "pajt" for "father" is used less and is generally perceived quite
vulgar (not among male teenagers though...rude boy slang effect). Another
(uncouth) way to describe similarity goes like this:

"'t És zö pajt gescheetn"

No explanation needed I guess ;=)

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx, Halle