LL-L "Lexicon" 2009.11.06 (06) [EN]

Sat Nov 7 05:33:22 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 06 November 2009- Volume 06

From: Henno Brandsma <hennobrandsma at hetnet.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2009.11.06 (02) [EN]

From: Brooks, Mark <mark.brooks at twc.state.tx.us>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2009.11.05 (02) [EN]

Hi Luc:

You said: ╲Oh yes, 'file' does exist in Dutch...primarily it means
'queue', 'traffic-jam'...╡

By the way, how do Dutch-speakers pronounce ╲file╡ meaning traffic jam?

Regards,

Mark Brooks
As written: "[fil@]" so with [i] = "ee" as in English keep.

This is a French loan, I'd gather. Of course in the meaning "(computer)
file", we pronounce it more or less as in English.
But in writing they are the same (though context will tell them apart then).

Regards,

Henno Brandsma