LL-L "Language varieties" 2009.10.20 (01) [EN]

Tue Oct 20 18:16:07 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 20 October 2009 - Volume 01
lowlands at lowlands-l.net - http://lowlands-l.net/

From: Theo Homan <theohoman at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2009.10.19 (01) [EN]

From: Paul Tatum <ptatum at blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2009.10.18 (03) [EN]

 Hello,

 From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be

 What about Icelandic v/ Old Norse?
> Regards,
> Roger

There has been some linguistic evolution in Icelandic, mainly in the vowel
system. There have also been several syntactic changes, so I don't think
Icelandic is quite as conservative as it appears when you see a page of noun
and verb paradigms. Â The main Old Norse saga literature dates to the 13th
to 14th centuries, and is rather 'Middle' in date for an 'Old' language,
which makes Old Norse itself seem rather conservative with respect to
Primitive Norse.

Paul Tatum.

Hi,

The Icelandic of the last 100 years or so  resembles old-icelandic in many
aspects much more than it ever did the 1000 years before.

vr.gr.
Theo Homan