LL-L "Technica" 2010.02.06 (02) [EN-NDS]

Sat Feb 6 23:15:01 UTC 2010

L O W L A N D S - L - 05 February 2010 - Volume 02

From: Wolfram Antepohl <wolfram at antepohl.se>
Subject: LL-L "Technica" 2010.02.05 (08) [EN]

Perfect evenemang using mail.app on the iPhone.
Wolfram

Skickat från min iPhone

----------

From: victorie.a at home.nl <victorie.a at home.nl>

Hello Reinhard,

Allso  on mij Nokia E75 the characters are perfect.

Goodgaon,

Arend Victorie

----------

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Technica" 2010.02.05 (01B) [EN]

Yes, I can read all of those.

Paul

Derby

England

----------

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Technica" 2010.02.05 (01C) [EN]

Yep, all work for  me.

Paul

----------

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Technica" 2010.02.05 (06) [EN]

Now that's weird; I can read all the characters in Ron's experiments, but
Tomás Ó Cárthaigh clearly has characters that I'm getting incorrectly.

Paul

----------

From: Hannelore Hinz  <HanneHinz at t-online.de>

Subject: LL-L "Technica" 2010.02.05 (07) [EN]

Hallo Ron,

nu hett dat klappt   Â

hier noch eins   Â   (Nu heff ick dat endlich begräpen, ick dacht' all, mien
Brägen wier wat nusslich)

Hartlich Gräuten.

Hanne

----------

From: Hellinckx Luc <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Technica"

Beste Ron,

I (almost) wrote:

Not working anymore. Unreadable.

Only difference with last time seems to be that your message was not the
only one in this post. Trouble always seems to happen when a post contains
more than one message. The four good posts that I received earlier on were
all single-message posts. Could it be that the software that you're using to
edit messages and compose them into one post could be the culprit? When
dealing with more than one message (originating from different platforms),
it seems to get mixed up.

Maybe we can test it like this. I will write 6 accented vowels first:

Ãπ é ä ö à  ê

You should then post this as a single-message post. I will check if I can
still read my own accented vowels (probably will).Â

Next you take this same test message and add a message of yourself (also
containing accented vowels). Again post it, and we'll see which diacritics
will survive.

Too bad, you didn't first post my original message as a standalone
single-message post, so now we are not sure if your editing software is to
blame.

Like expected, the 6 accented characters that I wrote myself, turn out like
gibberish when my text is joined by other messages.

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx, Halle, Belgium

----------

Beste Ron,

As you can clearly see below, this time I'm getting back my 6 accented
vowels, exactly like I sent them. But once you start adding other messages
to mine (coming from different platforms), your editing software gets mixed
up and the result is that the original author can no longer decipher his own
words when the message gets back to him.

> Maybe we can test it like this. I will write 6 accented vowels first:
>

> ü é ä ö à ê

> You should then post this as a single-message post. I will check if I can
still read my own accented vowels (probably will).

> Next you take this same test message and add a message of yourself (also
containing accented vowels). Again post it, and we'll see which diacritics
will survive.

What's the name of the package? Maybe I can file a bug at their site.

Kindest greetings,

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com<http://mc/compose?to=sassisch@yahoo.com>

Subject: Technica

I'm doing it in GMail (Google Mail), Luc. By all means write to them!

I switched back and forth between HTML and plain text before composing the
last few issues.

This time I will also paste it into Word and then copy and paste the whole
shebang into GMail again. I shouldn't have to do this, but it doesn't hurt
trying to see if we can pin it down to *sometime*.

Regard,
Reinhard/Ron
Seattle, USA

----------

From: Joachim Kreimer-de Fries <soz-red at jpberlin.de>

Subject: LL-L "Technica" 2010.02.06 (1) [EN]

Am 05.02.2010, 19:26 Uhr, R. F. Hahn scraif:

For one thing, as an experiment, I am sending this issue off in plain
text rather than in HTML. (Joachim's example will come out the way he
sent it, though.)

Thank you, Reinhard,
for experimenting it out! For my reading it is the best getting the messages
as plain text!

This means that no significant formatting is possible.

I wonder what you mean with "significant formatting" which we might miss in
plain text. The elaborate seven headlines in 4 different fontcolours and
centered? I would joyously renounce it. And could be less rows, the "Unicode
(UTF-08) - Language Codes: …" indications being the only useful. The other
URLs can be found already in the hidden but invocable mail header or can be
put into the (in other respects compressable) footer. So the headlines could
be only:

L O W L A N D S - L - 05 February 2010 - Volume 01
Encoding: Unicode (UTF-08) - Language Codes: lowlands-l.net/codes.php
==============================

=================

Reinhard continuing:

The setting is still Unicode.

Of course. And as we all could see, the special characters with diacritics
and such came out best readable when the message is sent as plain text.

¡ ¢ £ ¤ ¥ ¦ § ¨ © ª « ¬ ¬ ¬® ¯ ° ± ² ³ ´ µ ¶ • ¸ ¹ º » ¼ ½ ¾ ¿ À Á  Ã
Ä Å Æ Ç È É Ê Ë Ì Í Î Ï Ð Ñ Ò Ó Ô Õ Ö × Ø Ù Ú Û Ü Ý Þ ß à á â ã ä å æ
ç è é ê ë ì í î ï ð ñ ò ó ô õ ö ÷ ø ù ú û ü ý þ ÿ
Please let me know if you can read them.

Just for the sake of completeness:
All example strings sent untill now are well readable here, regardless of
plain-text or HTML mode and different fonts!

But for my own ease and because of "net ecology" I strongly advocate in
general the getting and sending _plain text_ messages, especially in mailing
lists. (As a compromize concession I would be glad if the standard font in
the HTML would be set to serif.)

Another alleviation would be, if the
posting address "lowlands.list at gmail.com", so that klicking "reply" would
put this correct address into the To:- field already …

Met echt-westfœlsken »Goutgaun!«
joachim
--
Kreimer-de Fries