LL-L "Phonology" 2010.03.01 (03) [EN]

Mon Mar 1 18:05:14 UTC 2010

Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Roger Hondshoven <rhondshoven at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2010.02.26 (01) [EN]

I'm sorry if I keep bothering you with this item. My remark about the
pronunciation of
"cacao, depot,  predikant (=meikever), tabak, pronounced /toebak/, paletot"
might have made you wonder how those words are really pronounced. This is
certainly the case for cacao. First I must draw your attention to trhe fact
that it is not a three-syllable word, sounding much like /kakajo:/, as in
some Brabantish dialects, if you ask me a rather ludicrous pronunciation. In
fact, cacao in Getelands sounds exactly like in General Dutch (Algemeen
Beschaafd), but for the place of the accent: in Gen. D. on the final
syllable, in Getel. on the first. It  bothers me to have to make
explanations about pronunciation in such a roundabout fashion, whereas it
could all be done neatly  and quickly in phonetic spelling. Unfortunately, I
haven't  found a way yet to use IPA fonts in my mails.

Best regards,

Roger Hondshoven
Diest (East-Brabant) Belgium

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com