LL-L 'Traditions' 2010.12.29 (04) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Fri Dec 30 00:41:30 UTC 2011

L O W L A N D S - L - 29 December 2011 - Volume 04
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Dawn Work-MaKinne dawn at workmakinne.com
via<http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&ctx=mail&answer=1311182>
 yahoo.com
Subject: L-L 'Traditions' 2010.12.29 (02) [DE-NDS]

Traditions of the twelve days are of great interest to me, but I need help
with translation again. I'm sorry to be such a poor list member!

Gratefully,

Dawn

----------

From: Dawn Work-MaKinne dawn at workmakinne.com
via<http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&ctx=mail&answer=1311182>
 yahoo.com

Someone off list pointed out that I neglected to give some vital
information about the translation help I need. I can read the German, but
not the "NDS" (Low Saxon?) I need only the gist, in English, but would be
willing to pay for translation help. I am especially interested in the
traditions of "The Twelve". Translation of the poem/song is not so vital.
Does this assist? I am new on list and not quite up to speed yet. Thank you
all very  much!

Dawn Work-MaKinne

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Traditions

Hi, Dawn!

You are not a bad list member. You are merely new to the list and need to
acquaint yourself with the rules:

lowlands-l.net/rules-en.php

*Edit quotes*
When you reply to what someone else has written, don't just hit the reply
button and write your reply before or after the quoted text. Edit out
whatever is not essential, most definitely the Lowlands-L masthead and
footer. (They are going to stay, for good reasons.) Also, don't do what
some do: they follow this rule nicely until they run out of things to say,
and then they let the rest of the quoted text dangle behind their
"signature."

You requested a translation of Roland's posting, but you did not
incorporate the portion that you want to have translated.

This is Roland's Dutch text:

En ook dit nog beste laaglanders,

Volksetymologisch komt Sprokkel met metathesis uit sporkel, met de gedachte
aan het sprokkelen van hout.
Etymologisch dit:
Uit het Latijn "spurcus" = smerig, vuil.
Sprokkel ui SPURCALIA , een heidens feest van lichaamsreiniging, waar de
katholieke kerk erg tegen was.

And here is my translation:

And this too, dear Lowlanders.

As far as folk etymology is concerned, *sprokkel *with metathesis comes
from *sporkel*, which reminds of "*sprokkelen* (gathering) wood."
Etymology:
>From Latin *spurcus* 'grimy', 'filth'
*Sprokkel* from *spurcalia*, a pagan body cleansing festival much opposed
by the Catholic Church.

I recommend using Google Translate for rough translations, including from
Dutch and Afrikaans:

http://translate.google.com/?hl=en&tab=wT

Seattle, USA

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com