LL-L 'Grammar' 2010.12.29 (05) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Fri Dec 30 00:47:56 UTC 2011

L O W L A N D S - L - 29 December 2011 - Volume 05
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Kirsteen Wilkes kirsteen.wilkes at hotmail.co.uk
Subject: LL-L 'Grammar' 2010.12.29 (03) [EN]

Hallo

That seems perfectly normal to me as a UK resident!

My first thoughts are that saying "I will try and ?????" seems less to do
with "trying" and more to do with intention (but giving yourself a let out
if you forget). Saying "I will try to ????" seems to put more emphasis on
trying i.e. making the effort or attempting to achieve something.

Collins online dictionary says:
 verb
Word forms: tries, trying, tried
I found this in the Oxford On-line dictionary
Is there any difference between *try to* plus infinitive and *try and* plus
infinitive in sentences such as *we should try to* (or*try and*) *help them*?
In practice there is little discernible difference in meaning, although
there is a difference in formality, with *try to* being regarded as more
formal than *try and*. The construction *try and* is grammatically odd,
however, in that it cannot be inflected for tense (e.g. sentences like
*she tried
and fix it* or *they are trying and renew their visa* are not acceptable,
while their equivalents *she tried to fix it* or *they are trying to renew
their visa* undoubtedly are). For this reason *try and* is best regarded as
a fixed idiom used only in its infinitive and imperative form. See also and
(usage) <http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/and?region=uk#and__17>.

Hope this helps!

Kirsteen

PS - For Lowlanders from German speaking nations - and possibly others! The
use of the word Oxford refers to the publishing house (Oxford University
Press) from the town and University of the same name. There is no such term
as Oxford English outside of the phrase "Oxford English Dictionary" known
or used within the UK either within common parlance or academic/linguistic
circles! It is probably a term coined by German teachers of English
referring probably to what we would term Standard English/"The Queen's
English"/or Received Pronunciation! (There - I've waited years to say
that!!)

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Grammar

Thanks for the information, Kirsteen.

I believe this is your posting debut, Congratulations and welcome!

Seattle, USA

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com