bright sunny days in Russian literature

Jules Levin ameliede at EARTHLINK.NET
Fri Dec 10 22:55:45 UTC 2010

Well, in the immortal words of George Gershwin (Ira?), whose father
Moishe Gershowitz came from St. Petersburg,

  /They’re writing songs of love – but not for me, a lucky star’s above
  – but not for me… With love to lead the way, I’ve found more clouds of
  gray… Than any Russian play – can guarantee…/

So we are talking about a cultural meme, a stereotype, a prejudice, and
as my semiotics teacher Michael Shapiro said, a stereotype to be
successful--to persist--there must be an element of truth in it.
By the way, whose literature IS characterized by bright sunshine, good
feelings, cheer, etc.?

Jules Levin
Los Angeles