writing Russian addresses in English

David Powelstock powelstock at BRANDEIS.EDU
Sat Jun 12 02:26:33 UTC 2010

Well, if they're going to use the address to send a letter to the reference,
it best be in the format that would reach the recipient, no? All the
department needs to understand is how to copy it onto an envelope. Form
follows function. I recommend keeping the Russian format, but
transliterating it. The Russian postal system is very used to dealing with
Latin transliteration. If you're worried about its looking funny to whoever
will be processing your application in England, you might consider adding a
parenthetical note for their benefit, e.g. "(address in Russian postal
format)."

Cheers,
David (Powelstock)

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list
[mailto:SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of Stephanie Briggs
Sent: Friday, June 11, 2010 6:45 PM
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] writing Russian addresses in English

Since the university I am applying to is British, I think the reason for
providing the address, email and phone number of my references is so they
can be contacted if necessary. Therefore, the address needs to be in a
format that Brits would understand. The department I am applying to has
tutors in Russian, but I think the application will first end up in the
generic languages department that runs the translation programme.

Further thoughts?

Stephanie

~Stephanie D. (Sures) Briggs
http://sdsures.blogspot.com/

Come have a look at my handmade knitted afghans and scarves!
FIRST SALE: 11/13/09!
http://warmochfuzzy.etsy.com/

Got Your Spoon? Find out what they're all about (and find out a little about
me too!)
http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/the_spoon_theory/