Pittsburgh reporter needs help

Johnna Pro jpro at POST-GAZETTE.COM
Mon Apr 2 02:48:42 UTC 2001

Doug: Thanks for all this stuff. I'm more determined than ever to figure
this out or at least write something about it and see what kind of response
we get. I did figure out that the term must be is fairly old. My mom is 70
years old and grew up in Newell, a charming little one-horse hamlet on the
Mon and she remembers using the term Yankee Bump. {"There was a great one on
Harger Hill," she said.] I know one thing, we've found no one, and I mean no
one from outside the mid-Mon Valley who knows the term. So far we have
people fro Elizabeth, Finleyville, Carroll Township, Charleroi, Belle Vernon
and Newell, all towns in the Mid Mon Valley who knew its meaning immediately
and grew up in different eras from the 30s to the 80s. Otherwise, nothing.
Keep me posted if you have any more ideas for me. I have a feeling its
linked to the sled, but is it possible it dates to the Civil War?