Madrigal Cheese; Shinny Cake

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Apr 2 05:04:34 UTC 2001

MADRIGAL CHEESE

   I picked up a cheese at my local supermarket that I thought was "Swiss cheese."  (It had holes in it.)  It wasn't Swiss.  It was "French Madrigul (sic) Cheese."
   "Swiss Cheese," by international law, must come from Switzerland.  If someone is in Paris, and he buys "Swiss Cheese" made in France, what's that called?  Madrigal Cheese?  Can Grant Barrett help?
   There are several hits for "Madrigal" cheese on Google.
   OED recently revised entries such as "madrigal," but the cheese definition is not there!

SHINNY CAKE (continued)

   From the NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE, 9 July 1963, pg. 16, col. 4:

_Southern Shinny Cake_
   That Shinny cake mentioned in "To Kill A Mockingbird" has created a lot of back talk from our column readers.  They ask: What is Shinny cake?  We didn't know, but some of our Southern friends had the answer.  It's "Lane Cake," they wrote, "spiked with an old southern folk medicine, known as moonshine or Shinny."  Yet no one sent the recipe.
(Col. 5--ed.)
   Then a letter came from Mrs. S. N. Saliba, who owns a fancy grocery store in Ozark, Alabama, a town just 75 miles from Monroeville which is the setting for "To Kill A Mockingbird."  "I bake Lane Cake often," she writes, "if you were her today I would serve you a slice.  But since you aren't I send the recipe."  The cake, she notes, is more flavorful after the second day.
(Col. 6--ed.)
   _Recipe of the Week_

_Shinny Cake_
4 cups sifted cake flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter or margarine
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup milk
8 egg whites
Filling (recipe below)
   Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.  Cream butter until smooth.  Add sugar, gradually, heating until light and fluffy.  Add vanilla.  Add sifted dry ingredients alternatively with milk, beating until smooth, after each addition.  Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry.  Fold into the batter.  Turn batter into 3 greased and floured 8 or 9-inch layer pans.  Bake at 375 degrees F. for 25 to 30 minutes.  Turn out onto cake racks.  Cool.  Spread cooled filling between the layers.  If desired, frost cake with a cooked white icing.  Yield:  1 3-layer cake.

_Filling_
8 egg yolks
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 cup chopped raisins
1 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup sherry wine
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
   Beat egg yolks thoroughly in top part of double boiler.  Add remaining ingredients.  Mix well.  Cook over boiling water for 10 minutes or until mixture is slightly thickened.  Cool.

HERALD TRIBUNE
FOOD STAFF