"Uno dos tres catorce" (Junk Spanish?)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Dec 14 04:33:23 UTC 2004

>wonderful.  i reported on larry's "mano a mano" reanalyses in  a
>Language Log posting a while back ("Still on the Eggcorn  Beet":
>_http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/001390.html_
(http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/001390.html) ),  but
t>his takes things one step further.  junk spanish, anyone?

>arnold
UNO DOS TRES CATORCE--3,860 Google hits, 23 Google Groups hits
Bono's U2 counts "uno dos tres catorce" ("one two three fourteen") on
"Vertigo." I don't know if this qualifies as "junk Spanish."
There are some genuine "junk Spanish" items that I expect to see in the
digitized Los Angeles Times if that gets to about 1970 by the end of the year.
I'll post them right away, no problemo.
_http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/Vertigo-lyrics-U2/EF6E33D07D4BB3854825
6F1A000AC0D3_
(http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/Vertigo-lyrics-U2/EF6E33D07D4BB38548256F1A000AC0D3)
Uno, dos, tres, catorce
(Turn it up loud, captain)

Lights go  down
It's dark, the jungle is
Your head can't rule your heart
A feeling  is so much stronger
than a thought
Your eyes are wide
And though your  soul
It can't be bought
Your mind can wander

Hello, hello  (¡Hola!)
I'm at a place called Vertigo (¿Dónde está?)
It's everything I  wish I didn't know
Except you give me something
I can feel,  feel