compensation in China

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIO.EDU
Tue Dec 21 19:02:54 UTC 2004

Gerry,
I'd suggest you check with a website or a listserv affiliated with TESOL or
Applied Linguistics, such as http://www.tesol.org/s_tesol/index.asp or
aaal-l at lmri.ucsb.edu, since they know more about teaching English as a
foreign language than ADS does.  But since I'm in both fields, I can say
that generally Chinese schools do provide housing and perhaps a food
allowance, but I'm not sure about insurance; I'd urge the applicant to get
coverage at home.  Airfare is usually provided.  Salaries are not high, but
one can live comfortably with all the basic necessities covered.

I'll forward this to a grad student of mine, in case she can add more
information.  I'll also spread the word about the job to our own graduate
students (M.A. in linguistics and TESOL), if you don't mind!

Beverly Olson Flanigan
Associate Professor of Linguistics
Ohio University
Athens, OH  45701