compensation in China

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIO.EDU
Tue Dec 21 19:02:54 UTC 2004

I'd suggest you check with a website or a listserv affiliated with TESOL or
Applied Linguistics, such as or
aaal-l at, since they know more about teaching English as a
foreign language than ADS does.  But since I'm in both fields, I can say
that generally Chinese schools do provide housing and perhaps a food
allowance, but I'm not sure about insurance; I'd urge the applicant to get
coverage at home.  Airfare is usually provided.  Salaries are not high, but
one can live comfortably with all the basic necessities covered.

I'll forward this to a grad student of mine, in case she can add more
information.  I'll also spread the word about the job to our own graduate
students (M.A. in linguistics and TESOL), if you don't mind!

Beverly Olson Flanigan
Associate Professor of Linguistics
Ohio University
Athens, OH  45701

At 11:15 AM 12/21/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello, Everyone,
>A junior college nursing school has contacted my looking for
>American/Canadian/Aussie, etc  qualified candidates to teach English and
>prepare their students for enrollment in English speaking foreign Nursing
>The teacher would help design a curriculum or use a current one to prepare
>these students over the period of two years at their Chinese college to be
>ready for possible enrollment in the foreign university.
>My questions relate to what a competitive salary and benefits should be
>offered to the foreign teacher. (keeping in mind that the students at this
>college only pay about $400 a year in tuition and would probably have to
>pay for the expenses of the new teacher.)
>Also, do Chinese universities provide free housing or health insurance?
>Are teachers expected to pay for their airfare to and from China?
>Thanks for all your help.
>Gerry Thiemann
>Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
>conversa at

More information about the Ads-l mailing list