"knock" = "vagina", 1664?

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Aug 5 00:29:50 UTC 2006

It has been suggested (not by me) that English _nookie_ (1928 but undoubtedly older) somehow reflects Dutch _neuken_ "to copulate with."  Does this word even exist in Dutch? If so, could there be a phonological relationship?

  Once again, Joel has unearthed a good American example of a British term - if we can rule out the meaning "to strike."

  JL

"Joel S. Berson" <Berson at ATT.NET> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: "Joel S. Berson"
Subject: Re: "knock" = "vagina", 1664?

Previously I had not mentioned another quotation, this from 1681
Massachusetts: "he that knoked her laste knoked her eyes oute". This
appears to correspond to OED2, "knock v." sense 2.d, "to copulate
with". I therefore looked under "knock" nouns for a similar sense
for the excerpt below, and didn't find one. (I also didn't find an
appropriate sense under "nock", because I only have access to
OED2.) From the "knock v." analog and its dates (from 1598 on), I
wouldn't look to "nookie".