[Ads-l] "said no X ever"

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jun 26 20:32:29 UTC 2017

Discussed on this list in 2013 and 2015.

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2013-March/126378.html
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2015-May/136955.html

Both times I cited an early example from Amy Poehler on Saturday Night Live
Weekend Update back in 2004 (though not quite canonical: "said no one"
without the "ever").

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/04/04bupdate.phtml
Britney Spears is recording a rap song about the recent controversies in
her life. "I can't wait to hear that!" said no one.